Squirrel Calls

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Sentry Dog Man, Nov 30, 2007.

1. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Any of you guys ever use squirrel calls? If so, which ones? And, which have worked the best for you??

I have 4 and the best results I have had was with the Lohman distress call. But, when I had the good results it was in more of a lowland type area but when I tried using it where I live in these mountains I have never been able to get a response. So, I think I will pick up a few other types and give them a try.

Your input please.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i just use my mouth anymore. i had a mr squirrel wistle but couldnt get the results promised. sorry cant add much.

3. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    i dont try to call squirels any more i just use a good feist or cur dog.its a lot more fun and i get my exersize following the dogs.

4. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD New Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Back in the 80's when the Mr. squirrel whistle came out I could slay them..it made a real sharp distress call sound, you would grab a small tree, suck in on the whistle and make as much noise as you could beating the tree on the ground..gray squirrels would go nuts running up and down the trees waiting for you to walk over and shoot them, fox squirrels would actually come to you..this would only work in the early part of the season while the young were still small.. for some odd reason the whistle has quit working for me..In the past 3-4 years I havent killed a single squirrel using it..they just quit responding to it..

5. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    The wife bought one last year, and can't seem to make it work for her. I can't understand why she squirrel hunts anyway, she identifies with them closely. LOL Later Andy

6. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I tell you what i have tried a few and i know several other people that have and nobody has had any real success with a squirrel call that i know of.The best method ive ever used is stealth.

7. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I dont hunt tree rats but around here, all you have to do is sit down and they come out of the wood works. they drive me nuts rustling the leaves when I deer hunt.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Just try squirrel hunting.They will quit bothering you!These squirrels feeding around you will leave that deer feeling safe.Encourage it if you have to feed the squirrels!

Get you a sack of pea gravel.No cans.They are noisy.The wife's purse will do if you have the courage!

In the late summer or fall when the the squirrels are feeding.Sit as still as you can and move the least you can.Quietly flip pea to little finger tip size gravel around every now and then with your thumb,like shooting marbles.Loop it only!The only noise you want is the pebbles hitting the ground/leaves/water every now and then.I don't know if they think it is nuts falling or the sound of another squirrel feeding.I think it is the feeding thing.Squirrels,Fox,Coon,hunters and Appalachian trail semi tame bears will investigate the noise.Deer seem to ignore it and act comfortable when hearing it.Do not make any other noise.

Now this has to be a quiet day or time to work.Windy or beside a noisy highway or stream won't work.Try it.If it don't work in a few minutes move.There has to be something in hearing distance.Also remember.50 animals will see you for every one you see.This is if you are good!

I love you Brothers and sisters.peewee

9. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    With or without a call (Calls don't work) two things happen. When you are hunting squirrel you see deer. When you hunting deer you see squirrel. Kill them both at any time and just reverse what you think you are hunting.

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I have two calls, one is a distress call and the other is a barker call. Neither one of them has produced good enough results to warrant packing them around. I still use them to mess with the dogs on occasion but don't use them to hunt with LOL.