Squirrel attacked me! Rabies?

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by south_va_fisherman, Dec 23, 2006.

1. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I was out with a buddy on my family's 75acres looking for some squirrels. I was using a .22LR and he had a .22mag. We had each shot 2 and it was getting dark so we started back to home. My house sits in the middle of a large field so we had to leave the woods. Thats when it happened. A squirrel was sitting on a tree no more than 10yards away. I have never been this close to a squirrel, so I was a little suprised. Next, the little thing runs down the tree and runs at me. Then, he bit into my wellington(ranch boot) and hung there for a little. I tried wack him off with the butt of my gun, but couldnt. Finally the thing let go and then turned and bit into my friends boots. by this time it was getting a little wierd. So I gave the squirrel a good kick and it went flying. The wierdest part was the thing sat there, then started towards use again. So we each shot it a couple times. After getting home, I told my dad and we went out with spotlights and a shovel to get the thing. He wants to get it tested for rabies. I have never heard of a squirrel with rabies, but I thought I would share this story with you guys. Have you had any experiences like this? To be honest that thing scared the crap outa me:crazy:

2. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Any wild critter that attacked me(bit my boot and bit my friends boot) without any provocation on my part yes needs to be killed and examined for rabies.Thank God it was your boot and not someplace on your body that he could actually sink his teeth into.Keep us posted please!:confused2:

3. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    the day the squirrel went burserk :lol: iv had them run at me jump on my chest and up the tree i was sitting by but never had them attack . maybe he was mad at you , i doubt he had rabbies but you never know less you spend the money to have it tested .

4. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I had one fall 20' and nearly land on me when hiking. the squirrel missed but the twig that he was on & broke, didnt miss me. it did a belly flop, laid there for a few seconds while we laughed at him then ran back up the tree it fell from.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    If it didn't have a light saber, (JEDI squirrel) or any tatoo's like, Hell's Anglels MC, or Outlaws MC,.....you know you take on one of those squirrels ya got to take em all on.....then I'd get it tested. I'd bag the boots till ya got the results too.
    :big_smile:

6. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    That is wild, I never heard of a squirrel doing that, good to know that they sometimes will.

7. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    They say,you are what you eat. That one must be NUTS:lol:

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    It's a mammal, so there is always the possibility of rabies.
    3 years ago, a guy I know was "slightly" drunk when he got french kissed by a skunk. Don't know if the skunk had rabies or not. But skunks(80%) are the largest carriers of the virus.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems like I remember a squerril going beserk in a MIssissippi church several years ago...caused a bunch of people to get religion. LOL

10. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    I have been attacked by squirrels before... wait a minute... let me preface this...

When I was in school a few years back, our campus was known for having tons of squirrels, and it was nothing for us to come out of the cafe and feed them sandwiches and cookies.

Several people had reported being chased by them, and they would come within 3 or 4 feet of us walking to class... cute little fellers

But one day on the way to class I got hit with a nut from a tree that didn't have nuts... I look up and I got hit with another one... there was a squirrel up in the tree throwing them at me...

I think college humor rubbed off on him...

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Yes, squirrels do carry rabies.

If the squirrel broke your skin, then you should have the animal tested for rabies.

12. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thats definitely not normal squirrel behavior. it probably had rabies...get your shot.

13. cockroach

cockroach New Member

State:
    florida
    down here in fl. an you suspect a rabud critter you can get in touch with your county health dept. an they should do it for you especilly if some one was bittin by it. o yea it aint just one shot , it's about a dozen, i think it is in the tummy one a week. some kid's were playing with a racoon that bit thier dogs, then the coon died, had to put down the dogs an three kids had to take shots. heck of a thing to tell someone for christmas,sorry , cockroach. hope everything goes well , merry christmas to all

14. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    I called animal control, and the game warden today. they both want the animal tested for rabies, also the game warden wants to take a look over our land. We cant bring the squirrel to the health department untill after Christmas, so its in the freezer. I live in isle of wight county, and this year alone there have been 15 rabid animals shot. maybe 16:big_smile: , well see soon. those 15 have been coons ands skunks and one bobcat. OH yeah its 15 shots in the stomach. My dad and I were talking about that, he said be a man and get those shots" fatherly love:roll_eyes:

Well I hope you all the best over the holidays, Merry Christmas.

15. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.

The shots are no longer done in the stomach.
    A friend of mine was bitten by a rabid bat a few years ago and had to get the shots, but said they haven't adminstered them in the stomach for years.

Eric

16. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    man, thats nuts ive never heard of a squirell doing that to anyone! lol. id definately get checked for rabies and watch out for squirrels!:big_smile:

17. true1212

true1212 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    at my friends house there was this bad looking tree rat and it was growling at me. i moved a little closer and it almost jumped onto me so i backed away and left. got lucky cause either it was pissed that all its hair was falling out or it had rabies. it was foaming at the mouth too.

18. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia

that deffinately sounds like a rabid animal. good thing it didnt bite you

19. Montgomery

Montgomery New Member

State:
    OHIO
    ever since i was a small kid. my grandpa used to sit out fronyt of his house.and feed them nuts. and also he used to make some noise with his mouth. the sound they makeing eating nuts or somthing . And you know every place i have lived city , or out skirts of town. i can always get the squirls to eat nuts from my hand. the little buggers get brave.i usually start by letting them snatch the nnuts off my boots.

20. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    my uncle, while he was alive, would do that. however when the squirrel would get close he would hit it with a stick and kill it. i guess it was his way of hunting them.