squid???????

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BLKCLOUD, Feb 9, 2008.

1. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    Evey year when im in gulf shores I swear i'm going to bring home some squid to fish with..but I never seem to do it..have any of you ever used it to catfish with? what were your results?? thanks!!

2. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Howdy Cloud,
    Never tried it-but I will. Why not use it up instead of turning it into crab brunch?
    Bigwhiskers

3. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I grew up in Calif. and squid and mackeral were the choice baits for channels besides anchovies and sardines.

4. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have used it at times and had limited results. We always caught more fish with perch, shad, or cut carp. Squid will work when you can't get anything else, but I use it only as a backup bait. Catfishjon

5. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    Illex squid is the best bait I have tested for Sea Catfish. That is in brackish water in a river. Have done simultaneous testing using different baits on the same trotline. Unfortunately, it is a little expensive. :0a26:

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have used squid and it works, but you will have better results using cut gills or shad. at least this is what i have come across.

7. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I thought the same thing when we go to Panama City Beach every year. Didn't do too good on the squid or shrimp but had good results with those cigar minnows here at home.

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Have tried it here in Ok and not even a bite.
    Heck, the possums and coons didn't even touch it.

:004:

9. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have never used squid. I had never really thought about it but i have left some in a bait cooler before in the summer for a few days......And now that you bring it up thinking back to cleaning out that cooler:crazy: buuuurt:eek:oooh: buuurt exscuss me almost puked thinking about it i can see where it would work.

10. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I've tried it on trotlines and R&R with very little success, since it appears to be very oily I ground it up into my sardine chum. Rather it helped or not I dunno but @ least it went back into the food chain:smile2:

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I lived on the Gulf for years, and of all the things we used as bait down there, the one thing I wish I could get for catfish bait is menhaden (pogies, mossbunker, etc).

Oily, stinkin' stuff!

Mullet would be good, too, as would Spanish mackeral and bluefish.