Squid

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by true1212, Oct 8, 2006.

1. true1212

true1212 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Would any of you know how squid woild work? I think with the smell of squid it would put some channels on the lines. What do you all think?

2. zcat

zcat New Member

State:
    ohio
    I never tried it myself.But i was reading in the bait threads about squid as bait.There is alot of differnt opinions in the bait thread.May want to look there also.

3. Alsey

Alsey New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I know salt water catfish love squid. They also love shrimp. Freshwater catfish love shrimp and shrimp are a saltwater species that they're not used to. Since squid are saltwater I don't see why river catfish wouldn't go for them like they do shrimp.

I'm glad you posted this because I go fishing down at the Gulf of Mexico every year and I always throw away my left over cut squid. Next year I'll bring them back and try them in the river.

4. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Squid has worked for me a few times. It is known as candy bait to salt water species especially when fishe dlive when they shoot off the black ink. But when fised frozen or fresh dead I have known for a few nice size cats to come off of squid. Its nothing that I fish regularly, but every know and then when I want to try something different I may use it. The whole squid can be used for blues and just strips of squid can be used for the channels.