Squid (Kalimari) for Catfish Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by flathead_ky, Feb 19, 2006.

1. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was fishing the river about 2 years ago and this man was catching channels left and right. I have seen him in this spot before and he always would catch a stringer full. He showed me a container with these white rings and said his sister owned a grocery store. In the seafood aisle, he picked up the kalimari (squid). He gave me what he had left when he left to go home. I caught a bunch of cats on it and it stays on the hook better than some of the other baits.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yes it works ok, but of course not as good as Shad, Bream, Crappie, etc.:)

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    they are also a very, very good Dinkbuster bait!:D

4. flathead_ky

flathead_ky New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    That was the only time I have used it and I did catch a lot, but nothing too big. My favorite baits are bluegills, shad, goldfish, etc.

5. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I have heard of guys catching lunker blues on whole squid before. They do have a strong smell and works. Also seen guys use strips for channels of squid. I use the heck out of live squid in the ocean as its one of the best baits you can use in the ocean. but have not tried it much for catfish. Cut bait tends to do better with more consistency for the cats.

6. nosnag

nosnag New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have used squid for cats with varied results.I think that the mouths of tidal rivers tend to be the best place for using it.Squid,clam,and shrimp seem to give you a better bite than other cut bait in these areas.Upriver cut fish and live bait out fish them.

BILL

7. LarryE

LarryE New Member

State:
    KY
    calamari works pretty good at the Johns Creek ******* Trent.. of the guys up at the mines uses it all the time up there.