Squid? Has anyone tried it for catfish?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Boomer, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Just wondering if anyone had tried squid for catfish. I used it alot fishing in the Marshall Islands, and about everything there would tear it up. If so how did it do?

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Never tried squid around here but shrimp works pretty good just too expensive a bait around here.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yup. I've caught thousands of pounds of saltwater fish on squid, so I thought I'd try it on catfish. Didn't work that well. I caught a couple of fish, but not nearly what I caught on fresh cut shad. But don't let that stop you from giving it a try. No bait works, or fails, everywhere at all times. I've had success with baits that totally failed to produce for some of the other brothers; likewise, I've had no results using some of their popular baits.

4. seacatfish

seacatfish New Member

State:
    Florida
    For what it`s worth, I have had very good results with squid in the estuarine waters of rivers for seacatfish. The Illex squid sold in 5 lb packages worked great, but they are over $1 per lb and they are not very tough. I went to giant squid wings, available at the fish house in bulk packages, (around 60-70 lbs), and found them to be superior. Very tough so they stay on the hook, and they have the squid smell so they catch like crazy. They cost $.40 to $.6o a lb. You can cut them in perfect sized pieces.

I realize this is in brackish water, and may not work as well in fresh water, but I would definately give them a try.

I have noticed that they work best when freshly put out. On the second set they seem a little 'washed out' and take a longer soak.

I would try the Illex squid first. Just my 2 cents.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I have never tried it, but I am sure that with the proper preparation it would work just fine. By preparation I mean a good stomp under my foot to bloody it up!

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Ive tried it before. Didnt work that well.

7. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I've tried squid on the lower james river in va and caught nothing but croaker on it havnt caugt any cats on it and I have tried.

8. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    I've used squid many a time's out here in central cali and have caught alot of channel's cat's with it ,but only in the summer time.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    on a video i have on the red river they use whole squid for big channels. they run the circle hook all the way through the body eye and all then hook it through eyes.

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    My post above referred to freshwater cats. I've found squid to be an excellent bait for saltwater cats.

11. NewMexicoCatfisher

NewMexicoCatfisher New Member

State:
    Alameda, New Mexico
    I've tried squid and haven't caught anything but a bullhead and a sucker.

12. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    For the planted catfish, I've had mixed results. However, the same can be said for any of the other types of bait (night crawlers, chicken liver, cut bait) that I've tried. For the record, i cut the squid into strips since the fish I target are in the 2# range.

-- Rich