Squid as catfish bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by bluesbrother, Aug 24, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    any one use squid stays on hook and channels love them .

2. fishunt

fishunt New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey Bro!

I am new to this site, but not new to fishing for the whisker face! A couple of years back I used squid for bait and it was good. When I was a youngster I didn't have a lot of money so I would get frozen squid at the bait shop, relatively cheaper than herring or worms. I actually caught my first channel on squid, in brackish water. As opposed to chicken liver, squid on the hook can be casted without worrying about the stuff coming off. My answer is, "GO FOR IT!"

Due to a neighbor's recent accident and the birth of my third child, mt catfishing will have to be put on hold for awhile. Oh well, I have bowhunting to look forward to this fall!

Tight lines to you!

3. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    welcome to boc and same here froze squid at baitshope in brackish water after a rain river running caught quit a stringer. welcome and good luck

4. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    squid make good bait:smile2:

5. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    what i have found is that squid is great for channels but they stop biting when the guts are gone and it is down to just the outter squid.

6. rebcatman

rebcatman New Member

State:
    Manassas, Virginia
    When I lived in Florida, I would use squid, and it worked pretty well. I would just slice it into strips. Shark is another good bait to use, and it stays on the hook pretty well too.

7. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have had some success with squid, as a matter of fact there is a topic in either this forum or the homemade bait forum that I posted a few days ago.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have tryed it a few times but never had any lock with it now in salt water thats a differant story:smile2:

9. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    Our local seafood shop stocks Squid for the schools to use in Bio lab. They are about half the price of the food quality. They don't come off the hook until you take them off. They work good for noodles and trot lines. The fish don't seem to find them as fast as other baits when rod and reel fishing.