Squaw Lake...

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by gilmafam, Dec 31, 2009.

1. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Heading out for Yuma and "Squaw Lake".......colder here at the beach than at the river (44)....

Hope to meet up with Gary "ToFish" and take him out to check out the Flats and Channels on the river......

Would you believe that my B&B goldfish are still kicking.. (got em on the 19th of November ..... and my "MENDOTA AUGUST" night crawlers are still "worming" and lethargic and ready to be transformed into blue gill bait.... (if we can find em)

Got my mackerel and from the local water and will be heading out Sat.

Taking the new puter so we will keep y'all posted....

Ray and Sharlene

2. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Them gills are there Ray. Fish slow dropshot less than a foot off the bottom in the deeper spots and you'll find them. Good luck.

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    ray, gonna put brakes on front of truck sat afternoon, but maybe russ and i will drop by later if your there. if not, swing by sunday. gotta get another yr permit anyhow.
    gary

4. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Thanks for the reply Gary.... a little slow this am...up l a t e last night

I'll bring the money bags for the year permit.....See how it goes...today with the loading the stuff....

5. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Getting a late start on getting out of town....(sunday now)

My plan is to do some "Drifting" in some selected area ... Bringing my "drifting anchor" which allow for doing this.... got some spots in mind.. Going to try a new approach for this....."Stern First"....or up river as I/we float down ...

I think that it will make this process easer doing so....If the rigs hand up

The first thing to do on water when going out on the water will be checking out the "blue gill holes".....

Keep ya posted....

6. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca

"Good Luck out there Ray & Gary - Hey Ray -Do me a favor & "Set Sharlene up with a rig " :crazy:
    We would all love to hear about her hanging one of those Flats.
    :wink:
    P.S. - Make sure you take lots of photo of that moment.
    (LoL)

7. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    Ray, still coming down today? i'll probably wait until tomorrow to come visit. gotta get my yearly permit yet for squaw. do that on way down there.
    gary

8. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Getting a late start.... We are recuperating from a lingering illness :0a30:
    Should be able to get out of there in the early AM Monday

Boat is attached to the RV... food is on board.... Just waiting for the weekend traffic to get to where they are going....

Going to try out my sinker mold today..... If all is ok, I'll be pouring lead at the campground....

I haven't poured and lead since they shut down my Machine Shop. What a waste that was...:eek:oooh:. kids making things.... and being at school to learn something that gives them skills for the future.:crazy:

Come by for the afternoon... dinner and camp over..:big_smile:. bring firewood?

9. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Hell, Ray. You know as well as I do that school is no longer about teaching kids skills for their future.
    Today's schools are all about political indoctrination. With the few remaining conservative teacher retiring it will soon be no different than the German schools of the late 1030's.

10. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    oh Jesus. LOL

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    can't say that in school there blue. no church stuff allowed now and you know it. no flag saluting, morning silent prayer, none of that. gotta read this, not that.
    but gotta go towards tom's side on this one.
    gary

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hard to allow the church thing when you have so many diversities with so many different religions - that was the main reason for not allowing church in public schools - however there are private schools that still pray. I went to one of those in Compton. Flag saluting still happens when I worked at an elementary school that happened frequently - we just can not impose our beliefs on others - In America there is just too much diversity to do that as far as cultures are concerned. There is a muslim population at my school a lot of Nation of Islam as an example for me to use - may not like it, but its a fact in certain demographics. Also Catholics, protestants, methodists, non worshippers, or whatever. Just too hard to implement for every child to do.

There are other more hard pressing issues affecting schools than political idiologies - More so the decline of the American family in certain areas than pointing fingers at this or that as far as philosophies are concerned.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  13. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Didn't we start this by wishing Ray & Gary "Good Luck out the water" :confused2:
    Lets just kill all of that noise and just stick to fishing & having fun talking about it. ("man":0a14:) :cool2:
    :0a23:

:wink:

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    bert, won't back down from this one, but will call truce.
    waiting to see ray and charlene tomorrow if they make it. (you know those newly retired folkes still learning this stuff. LOL).
    gary

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Truce is always a good thing.

:big_smile:

16. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
  17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good luck out on the water at sqaw when you go out. I am taking the month off but will be back in affect in Feb. Just in time for the blues and crappie. :wink:

18. gilmafam

State:
    California
    Good to have some support.... Not taking all the Mackerel... but enough to get some action going....

As I mentioned... going to do some drifting to see if that will locate some cats at spots other than our hole that we sit on....

Cant wait to get further away from town.... even at Mayflower park just before Thanksgiving... it was getting crowded with the folks from the North...

Squaw should be vacant of the weekenders... :roll_eyes:

19. Widemouth

Widemouth New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I did some drifting on December 23rd: put my canoe in at Bruce Church and drifted down to Mode II. No luck though. Probably because we couldn't find any gills close to shore that I could net, and we were using anchovies

20. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    met up with ray and sharlene yesterday at squaw lake about 2:00 or so. helped them get boat off trailor and then sharlene and i unhooked trailor and parked the rv. didn't get any fishing in yesterday though. just sat around and caught up on the visiting.
    gonna try and get down there today again and fish a little with ray. not sure if gonna spend nights there or not as my old body really doesn't get along good with cold weather. will just wait and play that by ear.
    can't wait to try the drifting with ray. never done it like that before.
    except for little cold, weather is perfect down here. now if fish will go along with us, it'll be great.
    ray will post something later i'm sure. his laptop works at lake, so he's able too.
    gary