Spun prop?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by BAMA_CAT, Jul 14, 2007.

1. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    How do i check for this? its a 74 200 merc 20 hp last night we were on the lake and out of now where it just started screaming It will go into gear, and you can idol around by if you give it much gas it will just scream.

2. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Make sure the ignition is off and plug wires are pulled.Make sure it can not start or everyone will call you Stumpy! Put on a good pair of heavy work boots as props can be sharp or have gouges.With your motor in neutral and standing behind your motor position a prop blade parallel to the ground on your right.Put motor in forward gear and push down or stand on prop.If it slips without turning engine over,it is the prop or gears.Mark the prop nut(Magic Marker,scratch,etc.)or have someone watch it while stepping on the prop.If the nut turns,it is the gear train.If the nut does not turn with the prop,prop has spun and needs re bushing.This repair is 1/4 to 1/2 the cost of a new prop in my area.Sometimes the hub will crack and the prop can not be re bushed.I always carry a spare prop and accessories as we have a lot of obstructions in the water,and the accessories(nuts washers,etc) can easily be dropped when changing the prop on a log or river bank.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That's about the best explanation of checking a prop that I've ever heard. Thanks peewee

4. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am just repeating what others have posted on here in the past.I always overdo the details for many.The reason is I know that many may read it with many different gifts and levels of expertese.I forgot to add that the cavitation plate above the prop can be rough on your shins if it scrapes them.Yea I have! I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    Thanks Brother!!

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Now that is what I call getting it done. Pee wee steped up to bat and hit a home run. Way to go Pee wee

7. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    It was the weekend and I did not know if he was wanting to use the boat right away.In the early 70's I went nights to Vocational School on Outboard Motors and completed the 40 hp.and under as was my goal.I also went to the Machinist and Bricklaying classes.This was strictly for my own personnel use and knowledge.Bubbakat,You are the "Guru" of outboards.I have saved in many ways by my now old time knowledge of outboards.Due to the need of expensive "special"tools,I have used service departments.I love to read this thread but seldom contribute as you and others are there with more and more modern knowledge than I have.I may speak up if I think my experience with such a problem may help.Bubbakat,we are very fortunate to have you and the others that help on this and all threads.Thank you.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee