Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Catfishermen,

I am new to New Jersey and I was looking for some information on the seasonal movements for Channel and White Catfish in Spruce Run. I have over 20 years of experience targeting Blue and Flathead catfish, with some limited exposure to fishing for Channel Cats in Virginia and Texas. I've been told that cut herring is king out there and that the thermocline in the summer causes the fish to hold in 10-15 feet of water. I was hoping that some one out there has some more specifics before I head out to the Lake again. I've been mostly targeting lake trout in Round Valley with great success, but I miss catfishing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a boat that is fully equiped to target catfish.

Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
8,122 Posts
Look out fer a guy called Big George on here. He's from Jersey and a catfishin fool. LOL Like I said watch out and heavy on the fool. LOL Welcome aboard!!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Now were talking!!!! Spruce run was my main stomping grounds for 20 years!! I will go copy and paste a couple things Ive wrote in the past and post them here!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
This is a PM Ive sent to someone but the info is solid! Just remember spruce run is shallow and flat mostly so if shore fishing is your game take the time to figure out casting for distance.

" I have always had good luck fishing by the boat ramps but instead of fishing that side fish the opposite side of that point. You will see the bathrooms at the boat ramp if you are passing the bathrooms and the ramps are behind you continue on that little paved road and you will see where there is a sign sticking up on a little hill a lot of people do car top launches there its a great spot after dark for white cats, channel cats, and hybrids when the herring come in. Casting distance is key it seems the farther the better."

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Just curious...what county do you live in?? I know of a good many catfish spots in the northern half of jersey that I wouldnt mind sharing with a member.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
"If you follow van syckles road after you pass the main boat launch facilities you will will turn into the next parking lot in which you can actually see the lake. There you will find top notch channel cattin' after heavy rains and again distance is key because hitting the creek channel is key to success. This is also the best pike spot on the lake if your bank fishing in early spring."

PM sent some time ago but I still talk to the guy and he says the info still brings him fish 5 years later.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
If ya got any questions about round valley, spruce run, oxford furnace, merril creek, or the upper delaware just shoot me a line I would be glad to help if I can.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Terry, that is all great information and I appreciate it.

I live in Northern Hunterdon County (north of I-78). My primary haunt is Round Valley and the South Branch of the Raritan River, but I wanted to familiarize myself with Spruce Run. I felt that I could be missing out on a great fishery out there.

I learned to fish catching catfish in Texas as a kid, and became quite successful there. My biggest two catfish were 66 and 70 pounds, with too many in the 30-40 class to list. I know NJ catfish don't get much bigger than 30 lbs, but a 10 pounder (30+ inch) on Rod and Reel will still get my adreneline pumping. Thanks for the great information and anything else you would like to share would be great!

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
If your in hunterdon give Oxford furnace lake a shot if you got a boat the biggest channels in the 15+ pound class for north jersey have come from there. It's not a numbers game but there are some big old growth channels in there from the 90s and im sure by now there are giants in the 20+ class

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fishing Report:
05/03/2011 11:30pm - 2:30am
4 Channel Cats to 20 inches (2.5 pounds)
Depth: 8-24 feet
Method: Drifting Cut Herring
Surface Temp: ~70.4 F

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.