Springtime Blues...

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by DH84, Mar 16, 2008.

1. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Well the weathers starting to break here in eastern NC and the fish are changing up patterns, I havent done much springtime fishing for blues, we usually change over to striper after february but since ive had to move and the striper are not as much an option now i wanted to ask advice for catching them on the river..

In the winter we have had good numbers from the deep holes but where can i expect the best blue fishing to be as the weather warms? I know in the summer we have caught them in as little as 2-3ft of water so do i target a midrange depth as it gets closer to summer? How about during different periods of the day.. morning, mid-day, afternoon and night time?

2. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Rob welcome to the BOC. What body of water are you fishing in NC? As far as rivers the fish in rivers with stronger current seem to always hang out in the deeper holes because it is a great ambush spot with a great current break. Try fishing above the hole and then in it and then below it to determine where the fish arefeeding at.

3. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Rob welcome to the BOC.

4. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC
    Im fishing the cape fear, and during the winter months i've always had good success in deeper water, the blue in my avatar i caught 2 weeks ago but im just a little fuzzy on the springtime patterns for blues.... i believe the water is already plenty warm enough for the patterns to be changing, ive been seeing fewer bites every week in the deep areas so im curious what to expect from warmer weather..

5. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    WELCOME to the BOC Rob!:wink:

6. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:cool2:

7. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    nice blue good job:wink:

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I fish a river, Big Pee Dee River, that is almost identical to the cape fear and everytime in early spring the blues movevery close to the coast to start feeding on the incoming shad and herring. They will move upriver in huge droves following the bait so keep an eye out for them cuse April should be very hot action as they are starting to spawn. Fishing at night in the shallows is a great way to catch them in the spring.

9. DH84

DH84 New Member

State:
    Eastern NC

Thanks river cat, sounds like just the advice i was looking for

10. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    welcome to the BOC Rob

11. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I did good all winter and now they seemed to have vanished I have tried the shallows and the deep, I guess I will have to keep on trying.

12. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    In my experience the blues act just the opposite as the stripers. When the stripers are shallow the blues will be in the main channels deep and when the stripers return to the deep water the blues go shallow into the creeks and slues.