Springs?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by beetle, Sep 2, 2008.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How do you know if our springs are getting too weak? I've got some older traps and as far as I know I've never had a catch pull out of the trap. I've heard a lot about weak springs but how do you test them? Just wondering...

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Roger ... what kind of traps are they 0,1, 1½, conibears, coil springs. It also depends what you are setting them for and where. EXAMPLE: I have several very old 1½ long spring traps ... the springs are probably not strong enough to hold a coon ... so I use them for drowning sets for muskrats. The weight of them alone are enough to hold a rat under water if you use a drowing stake.

The way that I test them is to carefully close the trap on the end of my little finger ... then try and pull my finger out .... if I can pull it out without any effort ... it is probably too weak for even a muskrat. It doesn't take much to hold a rat if it can't get any leverage ... that is why I use a lot of drowning sets where the water is 18 inches or more. If you think the spring is to weak you can either buy helper springs or replacement springs from several houses. I am getting ready to order a couple of new spring, but these are because the springs are broken in one of the circles.

Hope this helps........ Garry-

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've got several different sizes and types. I was just wondering if 1-1/2 coil spring when closed should have a holding pressure of X pounds pressure and the same for other traps. I read in one of my past issues of BT on how to check your pan pressure and set that for your target animal but I have never heard or read how a person would tell if a traps springs were getting too weak to do what they are supposed to. Thanks for you info Garry.

4. channelman

channelman New Member

State:
    Linn Kansas
    I am not sure about coilsprings, but I pickup a lot of 1-1 1/2 long springs cheap with weak springs. To strengthen them I pit a chunk of pipe in the spring and whack it good. This spreads the spring and gives an old trap new life.:wink:

5. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Unless your traps are center swiveled, the easiest way of determining if your springs need beefing up, is where in the trap the animals foot is. If the foot is still in the middle of the jaws, the trap is strong enough. If the springs are too weak, the foot will be against the spring. A weak spring enables the foot to slide in the jaws to the furtherest point. And if the animal ain't there........they're way past due for some help!