Springfield XD

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by rzrbk24, Aug 28, 2007.

1. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    This handgun forum must be new cause I just noticed it!!

Anybody shootin the Springfield XD? What caliber you got and how do you like it? I've had my XD40 4" service model for close to 2 years. Got it when they were brand new and on sale. It was my first handgun and I love it. I've shot over 1000 rounds through it with only 2 jams and that was last week due to the cheap ammo I bought at the range. Form now on I'll just spend the extra bucks on better rounds. I finally let my wife shoot for the first time and she did pretty good for her first time with a handgun. She shot 25 rounds with 5 rounds in the bullseye at 20 feet.

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    well as a matter of fact i have the .45 and i like it. it shoots smooth, lil' bit loud but no worse than most. a friend of mine just got the .40 and to be honest i like his more than mine. (i really like mine too.) i havent put the cheap stuff through it yet, but im sure i will someday. i have only had mine for 1 year and i have been puttin' about a box and a half through per month. no problems yet... well, except for the first time i fired it i had forgotten to put on my hearing protection (due to excitement) i fired it one time sat it on the table and walked away for 30 min. after that its my fav.

3. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    I haven't forgotten my hearing protection before, but I have used cheap ear plugs that didn't work. Come to think of it, I bought those at the same range I got the cheap ammo from. I was shootin my 40 and my buddy was next to me shootin his Kimber 1911. Man that thing was so loud. I was deaf for a week. I did that the day before I flew on a C17 down to Gulfport for a readiness exercise. I couldn't even hear the plane while we were flying

4. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I have a Springfield XD-40, and I love it. I have the 4" service model also. It's never failed me once, and it shoots awesome. I've owned a lot of semi-auto handguns over the past few years, and this one is by far the best so far.

5. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i am a ruger man myself, but a buddy of mine has had the xd-40 and -45. both of them shot point of aim. i was impressed by them. we shoot hogs with our .45s, and the xds have proven reliable in any situation i have seen. :wink:

6. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It might not be your ammo James. It might be the magazines. Over 90% of handgun malfunctions are because of faulty magazines or weak springs.

I've had the opportunity to have lots of models of Springfield XD pistols on my range. Several of my students have bought them. They've so far had quite a few malfunctions, but all I've seen were due to the magazine. This was with the first guns produced. One of my students recently brought a brand new one, and still had a few malfunctions, still with the magazine.

I've had other springfields in the past in thier 1911. They never acted right, and the company never would make good on it. I've heard of some people getting good customer service from them, but it sure wasn't me!

You might replacing your magazine springs with new ones. I do that on my duty mags each year or so on all my guns. If this doesn't fix it, then I'd say change magazines. Mark the magazine it does it with next time you shoot, and see if it's the same one doing it every time. If it's not the magazine or spring, then it's going to be in the extractor of ejector.

7. Hoolygalulith

Hoolygalulith New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have the 5" tactical .45 I love it. I have only had it for 3 months and I have put 600 rounds through it without a hickup. It shoots great I like the 13 round mag because it is fun to empty out. the accesories that came with it was also a plus for a new gun. I would recommend it to anyone.

8. DryHeat

DryHeat New Member

State:
    arizona
    I have the XD 45 for a 6 months now and absolutely love shooting it. Ammo is a bit expensive but I cant help it. Dead on accurate and a smooth trigger . Its gun #30 for me and its my favorite. Recently shot friends xd 40 and didnt like it as much....seemed lighter than Im used to. Taking new shooters out and always impressed by their shooting with the 45. This gun really makes it easy - No jams or problems @1000+ rounds so far

9. Brando

Brando New Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    I've had my XD-45 Tactical with Bi-Tone finish for almost a year now. I haven't had a problem with it yet, thank goodness. I've taken it camping, hunting, and fishing, through areas that punished it pretty well and it is still a-ok. It is also my "daily-driver" so it gets put to some hard use.

I was always weary of Springfield's because of their wayyyyyy to overly-tight springs. My buddy had one of their officer model 1911's and we had to put a couple thousand rounds through it before the spring was soft enough to reliably cycle.

Also, I was concerned because the XD has a firing pin block safety. Springfield does not put one on their 1911's, but they chose to put it on this gun and why that is, I will never no. That alone made me VERY afraid of using the weapon for daily carry, but that is a whole other rant.

As for all the nifty little accessories that come with the gun... they're okay if you're going to the range or something and want to have XD plastered on your hip so that people don't think you're carrying a Glock. But I found that the holster and the spare mag holster were far too wobbly for daily wear. It only took about an hour at the range to figure out that I would need something else. I went back to the gunshop and bought the Blackhawk! CQC belt slide/paddle rig and 2 spare mag holders. They are MUCH better. The paddle rig sits okay on the hip, but I can't ever get the belt slide to feel okay in a butt-forward appendix carry. My assumption is that all that has to do with is the barrel length. The money spent on all the items, however, was well worth it.

All in all, I find that it is a workhorse pistol. It shoots with a good bit of accuracy (MUCH better than any Schlo.... I mean Glock), but more importantly, it has always gone bang.

10. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Not yet but I have shot one. I like it enough that i'm going to get the XD45.