Springfield lake anyone?

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by oh_darn, Dec 9, 2008.

1. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    I've heard that winter is a good time to fish but I don't know what bait to use. Springfield lake is pretty warm, so would perch work as well now as it did in the spring and summer? And has anyone been able to find any shad there lately? The guys I've talked to down there haven't been able to find any. Also, where should I fish? Right where the water is discharged or should I cast by the dam?

2. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I haven't fished Springfield lake in several years. But I have always had decent luck fishing off of one of the docks and just casting out as far as I can. Chicken liver has always been the best for me there. I'm not too far away, if you ever want a fishin buddy let me know.

3. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    Well the last time I fished was probably 7 years ago with my aunt and uncle. We fished right where the water was discharged. I caught a ton of different kinds of sunfish and bass on small jigs. We cut the sunfish and caught lots of channels, the biggest around 10lbs. We also caught lots of carp on wheaties. We would grab a hand full of wheaties out of the box and dip our hands in the water and make a dough ball and mold it around our hook. We caught tons of carp, from 5 to 15 lbs. It was a lot of fun.

4. russKC

russKC New Member

State:
    KANSAS CITY MO
    Actually it was at least 10 years ago! I turn 25 in two days. I feel old!

5. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Joe a couple of years ago we went to the discharge just for a fishing fix, knowing that I couldn't get my boat in the lake and also knowing that the discharge in the winter is a good place to catch catties.
    we caught our gills at the discharge on jigs tipped with crawlers and used small chunks for bait, we worked the enntire discharge to the very end until we found fish that wanted to eat, caught a nice mess of eaters and had one of those nice sunny winter days on the water :wink: Oh by the way all the fish were channels about 1-3 lbs. Also alot of 6" fish. The James feeds that lake so you never know what's going to hit.

6. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for the info Showme. I might just have to go give it a try one evening this week.

7. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Alrighty, thanks yall! Now I'm going to have to slip out of work early Saturday or Sunday to go fishing. My boss should understand, he has left work early to fish with me before. Now that's what I call a good boss! Lol. Maybe I'll see some of yall out there.

8. bipolarguy

bipolarguy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I live in springfield,so i fish there alot i only fish the back side of the discharge it ranges from 3-8 ft deep and 95% of the time i drift with a float useing dough bait,shrimp,or cut bait. i do really good the biggest one so far has been 17 pounds.i also catch some nice blugill to.shoot me a line and we'll go sometime.

9. jms43

jms43 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    After friday I'm off of work til Jan. 5th so I will definitely be giving springfield lake a try on a few of those days.

10. bipolarguy

bipolarguy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i forgot to mention that it's best from daylight to about noon!!!! good luck.

P.S. i'm free anytime to go.