Springfield .45 problem!

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by flathead willie, Jan 4, 2008.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I took my Springfield .45 out while hunting last week to do some plinking. It has turned into a Jam-O-Matic. After racking the slide, the first round failed to load. I had to thump the slide with my palm to get it in. Almost every round after that was the same way out of the first mag. and about half out of the second mag. The bullets are hanging up half way into the chamber. It didn't used to do that. I'm shooting 230 gr. ball ammo made by American Ammunition Co., Miami, Fla. Any ideas on what's going on?

2. 1sporticus

1sporticus Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Hi Willie, sounds as if your spring in the clip is getting weak. Later Andy

3. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Could be your spring in the magazine, possibly a burr in the chamber or on the ramp leading up to the chamber, could be that it just needs a thorough cleaning and oiling or use something such as graphite if you subject it to dirty and dusty enviroments so the dust won't stick where the oil is. Check the casings after you have loaded them and after they have been shot for any unusual markings that were not there before you loaded them, look closely and pay attention to which way the cartridge was oriented in the firearm when loading and ejecting the unfired cartridge, the slightest mark could mean that the casing or bullet itself may have been dragging somewhere. It probably wouldn't hurt to strip it down and closely look at all the internal workings for signs of wear or corrosion. All it takes is a little drag somewhere to not let the slide come completely back to not pick up the next cartridge properly and cause a jam, similar to when someone "short shucks" a pump shotgun ecspecialy when shooting 3.5" shells. They pull the slide back far enough for the extractor to release the spent shell but not enough for the shell to clear the action and it results in a jam. If all else fails take it to a gunsmith and let a trained set of eyes look at it, they may see something simple the average person might overlook. Good luck, let us know what the problem was when you figure it out.

4. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I really don't think it's the magazine springs since I got basically the same result with two different magazines. I was rapid firing and the gun seemed to work a little better hot than cold but still jammed. It's a new gun that has had less than 150 rounds put through it. All the bullets hung up in the same place, like they wouldn't fit under the ejector or something.

5. tigman

tigman New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Billie, try another brand of ammo, if this does not cure your 45 look at the magizine lipstry spreading the lips just a few thousandths of an inch. I have had to do this on semi-autos. I hope this helps, if not I would see a reputable gunsmith.

6. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    You may have something there Dale. I just finished taking it down and checking for burrs, oiled it, and sanded the sharp edges off the back of the chamber. It still did the same thing. The first two boxes of ammo I shot were Remington and I didn't have any problems. The last time I used it I was shooting steel plates and it worked just fine. This is my personal protection gun so it needs to work EVERY time. LOL

7. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    If its new it may just need to be broke in.New 1911s are sometimes alittle to stiff but after you shoot it awhile the jamming will stop.I have a springfield as well and it done that off and on right out of the box but its good now.I love springfields.You might want to have the ramp polished that will help with feeding problems to.

8. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    It's the ammo. That American Ammunition is remanufactured ammo with a "copper coated" bullet, not an actual jacketed one. It's AWFUL! I don't even let students use it on my range anymore as the coating is soft and comes off the bullet as it's leaving the barrel! At 7 yards and in, you will see bullet jacket fragments all over the targets. My biggest fear is getting a large piece of jacket lodged in the barrel and fire a round while it's in there. That would get ugly and there's no signs to indicate that it's in there!

Change ammo and see if you've got the same problem. If it's not the ammo, then you'll need to change out the spring in the magazine. They work perfectly until one day, they just get weak from being loaded and start jamming. Another thing you might check is the recoil spring. This doesn't sound right, but believe me, mine was doing the same thing and when I changed out my recoil spring, it fixed the problem.

9. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Thanks Vince. I had a feeling that might be the problem. Like I said, I didn't have a problem until I bought this ammo. The Remington worked great. The Mag springs seem to be good. It takes a lot of thumb pressure to load a magazine. I have four magazines and they all do the same thing with this ammo. I'll get a new recoil spring and try that too.

10. cathooked

cathooked New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I have a spingfield extreem duty 9mm and i havent had any problems so far,i shoot the federal 124 grain hydra shock jacketed hollow points and so far they work well,hope i never have to use it for protection,but if i do it better work or me an springfield will be going around and around,would love to have a spingfield 45.though good shootin and ya ammo might be the problem..

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'll be watching this thread out of curiosity. I got rid of an older 1911 because of the same problem. i tried different clips, cleaned it, i could'nt figure it out. I might be a little upset to find out it was my ammo. let us know what it was when you figure it out....

12. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    I'll do that. I got rid of another one several years ago by some other company, I forget the maker, because it jammed almost every time.

13. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Billie I'll jump in an howler it's the ammo too. Also any 1911 needs at least 500 rounds thru it fore ya carry it for business. You can lay out a grand for a new Kimber and they won't talk to you about problems till you've put at least the recommended 500 thru it. The CNC machining makes for much tighter tolerances than the older Colts. The ones we had in the service that worked so well, but with not near the accuracy; would actually rattle a lil bit if ya shook em. The ones now are tight as a tick, and you need to break em in shooting. I think lubrication, magazines & poor ammo are tops on the list for trouble shooting as the guns now come with all the bells and whistles we used to pay extra for. I'm a BIG fan of Wilson magazines, regardless of what brand gun ya got, and their springs etc. are top notch too. I tossed my Kimber mags in the cedar chest and carry 3 Wilson for my Kimber. Another thing I also do is engrave the body of the mag so if it starts to act up, I can separate it for repair without getting em mixed up. (1,2,3) Many a 1911 got traded off, when all it needed was a Wilson magazine. $28 bucks well spent.
    :roll_eyes:

14. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah thats what i was saying also.I wouldnt replace the recoil spring just yet me and bootshowl were saying it may just need to be broke in.that spring is new its going to be stiff.It could be the ammo but ive shot ALOT of that American ammo and have had zero problems from it.Ive shot it in my 45s and 9mm,but yours just might not like it.No two guns are the same.

15. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Well guys, I put my gun in the shop. It cost me $30 to find out the ammo I bought on sale was reloads and didn't feed right. I got some new bullets and everything is fine. I had a feeling it was the ammo. The first several boxes I shot were Remington and I had no problem with them. That's what I'll stick with.

16. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I have a Springfield 1911 as well. I always shot federal through it,and I have never had any problems