springfield 1911 help

Discussion in 'Handgun Talk' started by brinley45cal, Dec 19, 2007.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Ok folks help me out here.Ive got a springfield 1911 V-10 series,its for carry purpases.As you know with 1911s it will cycle some ammo brands fine and others it wont.ive been using 230gr hydra shocks and they shoot way to low,so i need to find a defensive round that shoots better.So what do you think?A lighter grain bullet?Also the tip of the bullet cant be flat say like cor-bons they have to be some what rounded so it will feed.Any suggestions? oh and dont even mintion those glaser i think it is,the ones that have shot in them so when it hits the bullet frags and the shot suppose to go threw.They are junk and do not penatrate enough.
    So help a brother out.I have others i can carry,i carry my glock 23 most of the time but id like to start carrying my .45 if i can get it shooting good.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've had great luck out of Remmington Golden Sabre ammo out of all my
    1911's. I think they run $10-$15 bucks for a box of 25 @ gunshows.

3. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    James normally a lighter bullet will print lower than a heavy. Is yer gun ported? If it is, and the 3.5 barrel, it may be that making you toss the 230 low. Federal makes a personal defense 165gr. Hydra-Shok that might do better if this is the case. I've always felt the 45 had an advantage in that hardball was pretty effective.
    The glaser stuff is supposed to fragment, and it's effectiveness is in causing immediate shock trauma, not wound channel. I think it ups the effectiveness of snubbie wheelguns, but haven't tried any in a reciprocating gun.
    Does she shoot hardball low too? If so, yer gonna need ta shorten the front blade to get it in the zone.
    Let us know how it turns out.
    The Federal stock number of the 165's is PD45HS3-H.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    James, I totally agree with Gary. I had a ported v-10 ultra compact, and it shot the 165 grain bullets better than about anything else, but got the best results shooting ball ammo of about the same weight. Another little tip for feeding defense rounds throught it, very carefully dress the feed ramp area. I mean carefully blend and polish the ramp into the chamber, dont do any work in the chamber area, only the ramp. Using machinists metal dye, dye the ramp, install the clip and chamber a round. Remove the clip, eject the round clearing the weapon. Look at the feed ramp, you will probably see where the nose of the bullet crashes into the ramp as the slide brings it up out of the mag. Thats the area you will want to address. If you are not very confident in doing this, or mechanically challenged, or have any doubts whatsoever, I would recomend seeking professional help from a competent gunsmith.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    My Springfield 1911 does fine with Hardballs. I've never heard about anyone getting hit in the vitals with one and getting back up.

6. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah it has the ported barrel and i believe the barrel length you said was correct.It shoots hardball fine very accurate,its the defensive rounds that shoot low.I dont use the hardball for defense because of greater risk of a pass threw and hitting someone you dont want to.I never reccomend anyone who carrys to use hardball.I polished the ramp and did all that for better reliabilty, i like to think i know a bit about firearms but this one has me stumped.See i also thought if i went with a lighter grain bullet it would shoot low but i didnt know since the barrel was short if i should try a different brand in 230gr or just try a lighter grain bullet anyway.I thought about getting the front blade shortened but i was hoping to not have to do that if i dont have to.I guess ill have to experament with different bullets until i find the right ones, and if that dont work ill have to go ahead and shorten the front blade.ill give those 165s a try and see what happens.I guess it could be possible that since its ported i could be losing some vilocity making it shoot low,dont know.
    thanks for the suggestion ill givem a SHOT and see what happens.Thanks bro

7. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Yeah i already did the polishing and all that,and it did help with the feeding issue except for a few brands like cor-bon and gold dot.But what you suggested works very well,i did my cousins colt the same way and now his will feed about anything,good tip for anyone who has feeding issues with there 1911s.thanks

8. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Well iused to be in law enforcment before the heart went bad on me and i saw several get up from them....but not many lol.Like i say i really really dont recommend using ball if your going to carry.Now i do know some folks who load the first two or three rounds with ball in case they need better penatration for punching threw a car door or glass like a windshield.But even at that i dont really advise it,i dont know about you but im not sure if i could live with myself if i hit the bad guy and an innocent bystander to.granted it can still happen with hollowpoints but chances are lower.
    but yeah those ball rounds will leave a pretty good hole,thats what i like about the .45 even if you use hollowpoints and they dont expand,which happens more then people think, they still leave a pretty nasty hole.thanks

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I dont have a carry gun. But imoThe ranges will prob. be less than 10 yards so if you can get er done at those ranges why worry?

10. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey james i shoot the remington 230 grain hp's, i have taken hogs with them and deer out to 60 yards with my ruger p-90. i get the ones from remington that come in a 100 round box, i have never shot anything with them that didn't die almost right away, and deer and hogs are way tougher than a human, i'm sure. i have total faith in these bullets, as every one i have ever recovered from an animal had perfect expansion
    if you prefer cor bon, they make a bullet called the pow r ball. it is a regular hollowpoint and is supposed to expand like one, but has a polymer ball in the cavity of the bullet to assist with feeding issues like a lot of semi autos have. i have never used this bullet, but it seems like a good idea.

11. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    I actually was thinking about trying the REM 230gr bullets,i will for sure now i know someone who has tried them and recommends them thanks.Those pow r ball ammo is to much like the glasers i just dont care for them.most test show they dont penitrate good,also its said that in order to bullets to hit vitals and be effective a bullet needs to penetrate at least 12 inches.i wouldnt want to be hit by any of them myself or be the test dummy to prove or disprove that one.thanks for the info on the remingtons ill givem them a try as well.