springfeild blue catfish

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by slikk03, Sep 12, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    any updates on the population of blues,i here of bros getting them drifting out by linsy bridge, wonder how hard it would be to get one from the bank,by the bridge

2. lookingforthebigone

lookingforthebigone New Member

State:
    illinois
    not sure i have never caught one for the bank in their any where but thats just me

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i dought its easy , i cant get a channel from the bank by the rocks by the zoo,

4. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah you just have to get lucky. There have been a couple of monsters caught from the bank. I dont know how they ever got them in but they do get caught. Just not that many of them and the small ones people think are channels and the large channels people think are blues. Like I said take your rabbits foot and just keep fishin. I fish 4 days a week everywhere on this lake and have caught one this year and one last year.

5. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    I havent heard of or seen any good catch's for at least a month there. We debating on making a day trip over to the zoo etc if we do we'll wet a line or two. Good Luck

6. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well you got to drift fish that lake, we had good luck, but them blues are going to disapear fast if they keep them,they cant reprouce in a lake, studies have confirmed this in powertone its been ten years and tey wont spawn but they might hyridize with channels , if you got boc brains its not hard to tell a blue from a channel ,the fin is the key, and the lips and head, my freind was saying thats a blue, i said no look at vthe fin before you guessto fast,pluss them blues should be silver if they come out of altone

7. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah people have to put them back. If they dont they better hope none of the local boys find out. The blues I have seen are really blue. The females are large round blue suckers and the males are long and dark more like a channel. If you look you can tell but its hard sometimes out in the boat. Even guys who catch them all the time have to pay close attention. The younger they are the harder it is to tell the difference. Oh and these blues wont spawn. Not enough structure, cover, current, or depth in this lake. If they were going to though this year was ideal conditions.

8. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I ran into a guy last week that actually caught a blue outta sangchris!!
    He cleaned it - although its head was gone - it sure did look the part - I thought they weren't in there - but he had the proof (about 20 lbs). Says he's caught em before outta there...I dunno - never seen one from there until now....

9. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Well I guess its possible but I would say it was a channel cat. Never caught one that big out of there though. Very hard to tell the difference especially in that lake. Blues would not survive in that shallow lake for long I wouldnt think. But it is possible that somone put some in there or something

10. fishead69

fishead69 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    thats what I thought too - but being feom the South - I can tell ya that it wasn't a channel , maybe some weird type of hybrid possibly. I have caught some very nice channels from SangChris , but this was definitely different!

11. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Yeah, Ill tell you that I have caught several channel cat/ flathead crossbreads in lake springfield over the past couple years. Very weird fish. It must have been a blue or blue/channel. If you have caught them, then you know. Just never heard anything like that out of Sangchris. Shit people have caught sharks and stuff thrown in lakes anything is possible.