springfeild blue catfish

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by slikk03, Jun 16, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    are bluecats worth targeting from the bank at springfeild,how many are in there

2. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    They are in there in good numbers. I'd bet most catch's from the bank are incidental though. Most are caught by boat and drifting cut shad etc. A few are caught over on the southeast side adjacent to deep water in the evening/at night. Smaller eating size one's are caught in the rip rap along with channels.

3. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Targeting bluecats is out of the question. This lake is pretty big and there are only around 300. The good part about it though is if you are fishing from the bank, then throw out some shad and something will take it. You might get a blue once but channels are the main species of catfish caught. There have been like 6 blues caught this year that I have heard about and there have been thousands of nice channels. Good look and if you would like any more info on spots, bait,etc. let me know

4. backwoodsman68geric

backwoodsman68geric New Member

State:
    illinois
    We went out by the zoo yesterday and a guy on the riprap had several nice channel and a 15(ish)lb blue, all caught on shad and worms.

5. boyd79

boyd79 New Member

State:
    illinois
    did,nt they stock that lake from blues cought from the miss. years back?

6. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    illinois springfield area
    i have a buddy that had been putting them in there 4 years from ones they had caught in alton w/ permission from dnr, my uncle fishes the bank of lake spfld almost every day, weather permitting and has caught several blues last couple years, got a 60 this year, he has caught a flattie over 50 at least once every year 4 as long as i can remember, cut shad cut bluegill never uses live bait except 4 occassional mud leech.

7. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    i gotta see some pics before i convience my self that there r really big blues down the road from me,i drive over the bridge on 55 all the time and look at that lake someone shows me some big blue pics and im gone there.

8. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    i'll try to put that pic on here with my son's help, its on my cousins myspace 64# blue that his dad caught this year, i think red's bait on stevenson has a copy, i believe pic was taken at baitshop, red's a member, fishes lake springfield stop in there look at pics, my uncle has caught several blues 20-30 ib range, mostly channels, cutbait

9. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    Heres the pic of my cousin Jerry with blue cat from lake springfield, taken this year in front of Red's Bait

Attached Files:

10. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    There were 300 stocked and I have seen atleast 4 tagged and released during tournaments. I know a gu and his kid who caught 3 in a week in a half but good luck off the bank. There will be a few caught off the bank all year they want the bait moving out in the open water

11. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    nice job on that pic,thats a real nice fish im convinced!try to drift live bluegill.

12. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I am with Charlie on that one... drifting will definetely be the ticket for them! Cut shad chunks or gills should do the trick for them!

13. 4bratsdad

4bratsdad Member

State:
    hey charlie that cat was taken over a flat 2' water bout 50' out from the bank, bankfishing at the dead end at the marina where they park the old trailers right by the 55 bridge this spring, weeds/ brush are too bad to fish it by land now.

14. Jerry Cline

Jerry Cline New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Did that blue make it back in the lake

15. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    yea im gonna give that lake a try,in the winter time does it hold some warm water near the plant.

16. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was wondering the same thing. Whats up Jerry? As far as I can tell it was not. I heard about a guy who took a large fish to Reds and it died. I doubt a bank fisherman has a livewell to keep a fish like that alive. Ruins it for everybody.

17. Branj796

Branj796 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Can fish the hot ditch year round. Definately warm. I have caught fish there in January/Feb and every other month.

18. lookingforthebigone

lookingforthebigone New Member

State:
    illinois
    found a nice blue at springfield lake tonight #50 lbs and put back in lake pic will be up soon

19. catinaldatime

catinaldatime New Member

State:
    Girard, IL
    that makes me wanna go fishing,maybe have that mini meet on springfield lake.dan and i r goin to the kask this weekend,see what we can get.hey nice job on that fish and welcome to the BOC.THERES ONE!

20. lookingforthebigone

lookingforthebigone New Member

State:
    illinois
    this is the big blue from last night at springfield lake and this one was not taged and it was released..