springfed stream

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by stonemaster, Mar 25, 2006.

1. stonemaster

stonemaster New Member

State:
    versailles, ky.
    I recently found a small stream that empties into the river that is caused by a spring. The spring is only 100 feet from the river. In Ky. all caves are at 55 degrees , so I thought since the river temp is only 45 that maybe this could be a place of intrest to the fish. I went to the spring and using a throw net caught many shad that day. The water there is only 2 foot deep and the stream is the same width. I took the shad and went to another place to fish. All week I have been wondering if I should have fished the mouth of that stream. It is very small so I did'nt think much about it at the time. Does anyone have any ideas how I could use this information to catch a few fish? Any thoughts would be welcome. Thanks.

2. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    I'd be willing to bet that if the little stream is that shad-rich, then the cats know where it is as well. I'd go back and hit the mouth of that stream either early in the morning or late in the evening. Fresh shad, sharp hooks, and hold on.... may be some gooduns comin' up in there to gorge on the shad!!! If you don't at least try it, it's gonna eat you up wonderin' about it.

Jerrod

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Darrell, I'm with Jarrod. You should definitly try that spring especially around the mouth. I would try to anchor just above the mouth where my down lines were right at the mouth and then throw out some others fanned out just below the mouth. If the baitfish are plentiful there, so are the predators. Vern

4. Chief

Chief New Member

State:
    Indiana
    also the warm water dumping into the river will attract all sorts of fish. especially hungry catfish. sounds like you might be on to a pretty good spot. keep us posted on how it produces