Spring Turkeys from a Treestand?

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by ccromwell78, Apr 2, 2006.

1. ccromwell78

ccromwell78 New Member

State:
    IL
    Has anyone ever hunted spring turkeys from a treestand? I was recently talking to my bro in law about maybe changing my treestand location this weekend so that I can hunt turkeys from it in two weeks. I know a lot of people kill birds in the fall from treestands. I have patterned these birds and know where they go in the morning. I know that I can't run and gun with the treestand I am just talking about maybe the first couple of hours of daylight. I would think a person could see the birds coming from a lot further away than sitting on the ground. This also means more time to get spotted. What do you think? I am hunting on private land, the third week of IL season and on birds that are not hunted hard.

2. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have several friends who use tree stands. Most are bow hunters and need some extra edge to hit these visually acute birds. They all use feeders to bring them into an area. Accuracy is extremely critical with a bow from above as the heart becomes even a smaller target. Just for my sake get a good safety harness and test it out before using it from a low height. I have a buddy who hunts from a chair, because he didnt. Keep the sun to your back and the wind in your face.

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive thought of using tree stands myself, but Im not a big turkey hunter. Im going to try this year though. Ive seen a few turkeys out of my stands during deer season and they didnt have a clue I was there. Check your state regulations on baiting turkeys. Its not legal in KY or many other states.

4. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    I would agree it is hard to hunt birds from a tree stand but it can be done. I arrowed 3 birds one fall from my tree house in Kansas but it had widows and a feeder. I missed alot of birds that just stepped out of the way of the arrow. I had to be a full draw when they walked in front of the window opening and wait until there heads are down feeding to get the shot off successfully. This was a 6x6 tree house with windows and a deck. I built it for a buddy of mines kids for free with the agreement that I got to use it spring and fall. It was my lazy, not much time to get out there after work, rainy day place to hunt. Otherwise I prefer to run and gun. My buddy arrowed a bird here in Indiana on video last year from a tree stand. He and the camera man had separate stands with blinds. It has to be a setup where you know the Spring birds are gonna be. Pattern is different than fall unless baiting is allowed. The trick is to setup a blind in the stand to hide behind. Then you need trees or brush that blocks their eyes, make your move when they are behind the obstruction and release or pull the trigger when they pop out the other side. Believe me I've been busted more times than successfull. If you can see their eyes they can see you.

5. ccromwell78

ccromwell78 New Member

State:
    IL
    I like to kill a bird as much as the other guy but I aslo like to change the pace a bit. I have also thought about putting up a bunch of decoys just to see what happens. I know that every one uses about three as the max yet I often see flocks of more than three birds. I just sometimes love a challange of doing things a bit different. I mean just about any one can sit and call in a turkey when everthing is hot and heavy. Which is GREAT but sometimes it is the guy that does it different that gets the big one. Who can't tell a story of the loudest kid in the bunch or the camp cook who slept in late that is the only one that kills anything. Ok then what else have you guys done differently and harvested?

6. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I also agree. I would stay on the ground. Plain and simple.

7. Drum Andersen

Drum Andersen New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I usually sit on the ground when I'm turkey hunting, but give it a try and see what happens.

8. Aftercats

Aftercats New Member

State:
    Tennesse
    I have found here lately that I am having to move to the birds because they just are not yet answering to calls..Too early it seems. For just the reason of having to move to the birds a tree stand is just not practical and I will have to agree with Wolfman that there eye sight and the fact that most of their threat is from above. Good luck and Good Hunting!!!

9. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Im sure the ground hunting would be much easier like discussed previously, but if you are up for a challenge or like you said want to do it different obviously nobody can stop you. Give it a try and see how it goes and let us know. Good luck.