Spring time danger

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ks-limb-liner, Apr 6, 2009.

1. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    The Dangerous Brown Recluse Spider

With spring just around the corner,
    it's time to review this message

If you don't look at but one picture, be sure you take a look at the last one so that you will know what the spider looks like!

It's springtime & cleanup is going on. Be careful where you put your hands. They like dark spaces & woodpiles.

Also areas in the attic........................
    If you have a need to be in your attic, go up there and turn on a light and leave it on for about 30 minutes before you go in to do your work!

They like the darkness and tend to live in storage sheds or attics or other areas that might not be frequented by people or light.

This guy was bitten by a Brown Recluse spider.

Attached Files:

2. ks-limb-liner

ks-limb-liner New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I know these are graphic, but they do make you aware.

I hope everyone is careful, and please stay safe.

Attached Files:

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Darrell, can't say I've ever SEEN one, but I AM famliar with what they look like.

My mom was bitten by one about 8 years ago. She worked in the warehouse/receiving/distribution part of our local county hospital, and that's where she was bitten.

It took a week before she realized there was a problem; then when thinking back upon it, she remembered feeling a burning/biting sensation on her ankle.

Took a LONG time for her to get over it, since the bite eats away the flesh. I also have a cousin who was bitten in CHINA.

A brown recluse is NOTHING to mess with. I was always warned about Black Widows, and those can be deadly to SOME folks as well. Was taught to identify THEM at a very young age.

I LIKE most spiders though. They're interesting creatures, just be careful.

4. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    thanks for the reminder. those things scare the heck out of me. :embarassed:

5. westvirginiacatfish

westvirginiacatfish New Member

State:
    Ronceverte
    Thanks for the heads up. Spiders don't bother me that much. I cant stand bees had real bad experience with them when I was young. Thanks again for the warning.:smile2:

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    All I will say is yuck!! Our house was full of em when we first moved in. It has set for the most part empty for 3 years. We went and got several bombs to set off in the house and basement,when we returned a few hours later mercy we had dead spiders everywhere.Seems like they're controlled here of late,but if I see one more I'll kill it,and get more bombs.:crazy::roll_eyes:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Darrell thanks for sharing a good awareness post. The pics should get ones attention. Appreciated and Reps.

8. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Them things are nasty, glad I don't have to deal with em. Looks bad and painful. They can be places not expected too. Thats why outdoors in witnter is good. I remember tho seeing a mosquito land on the snow near me in Northern MN when I was deer hunting a few years ago, and spiders crawling over the snow. I had expected them to all be sleeping by then.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Thanks for the reminded Darrell! They are not to be messed with, my friends grandma got bit by one when we were in high school. By the time it was all said and done they had to amputate her leg.

10. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    dont forget to look in the toe of your sneekers that you havent had on sence last fall.Thankx for the heads up
    smokey

11. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have gone thrugh that and it is very painful

12. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Luckily we don`t have to deal with those things but man I`ll tell ya, I HATE SPIDERS !!!!

13. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    thats rough, we have those things all over the place here, black widows too. I vacuum my boots out occasionally just in case one has crawled up in the toe. The snakes have also come out, I was going to check my minnow/bream trap friday and there was a 4-5 foot water mocasin laying there. The thing was as big around as my arm. :crazy:

14. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks Darrell,

As far as I know I've never seen a Brown Recluse but have seen Black Widows all my life.

Here's
    a good web site about the Recluse and some others.

15. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks for the warning. Had my first experience with a spider bite last year. Not good at all.
    I come across hundreds of spiders a month with the work I do. Among other critters. I'm in close contact so I got to be careful. Mostly Black Widows and they can kill a man.
    I was bit by a black W. end of last Aug. thought I was going to die. They say it can cause heart failure etc. All I know is my heart beat wasn't right, I had hi fever, hurt all over like someone beat me , with a base ball bat. throwing up etc., much worse than the flu.
    Plus the wound was nasty.

I was told when bit by a Brown R. or Black W. Best thing is go to ER right away. They can put an IV on you and flush it out of you and side effects want be as bad. Course the Doc. used more tech terms than me. LOL
    I waited a couple days with my bite before getting to a Doctor. which made me have to ride it out with meds etc. for way over a week with the feeling sick part and up till round Noc, Dec with wound. Wasn't good at all. I got a bad scar from it that will be there rest of my life. Happen on my belly.

I carry a first aid kit now on the job. Snake bite kit that I would use on a spider bit . Suck the suff out if I know when it bites.

Another thing, They say you dont feel BR bites but you do a Black W. I didnt feel it at the time other than like a flea bite or something. but after blood test and reactions I had, they said it was a BW spider and that is what I'm exposed to the most.

y'all becareful.

16. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    A guy here got bite last year and lost most of one arm. He was unloading produce. I hate ALL spiders. A store clerk in Arizona tried to hand me a Tarantula. I think I knocked over two counters, three kids, and an old lady with a walker trying to get out of that store!!