spring river

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by jug, Dec 8, 2007.

1. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i have a question about spring river around hardy ark. ive been there once and have some family that go every once in a while. wandering when the best time to fish and best bait. thinking about going back. had a fun time the last time i went. caught lots of fish a drunk many cold beverages.

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey jug, welcome to the boc! i don't know about the spring river, but trout in rivers and creeks usually follow a pretty predictable pattern, with a few local favorite methods being unique to a particular stretch of water. during the first stages of a trout's life, they tend to eat a lot of bugs- caddis flies, hellgrammites, stonerollers, small crayfish, grasshoppers, etc. if they are native trout redworms can't be beat. as they get a little larger they become more predatory on small fish like shiners, darters, and even trout fry. i used to fish a river in new mexico called the la plata, and the most productive method there for me was a whole red worm hooked once through the collar and no weight whatsoever. i used a #12 or #14 salmon egg hook snelled to the main line. i would drift it through holes and around boulders, and caught the heck out of the trout there. if the water is fast the trout tend to shoot first and ask questions later, so you could drift something by a fish's hangout and he would dart out and grab it, as there is not a lot of time to get a good look at food in faster water. good luck to you man!

3. jug

jug New Member

State:
    tennessee
    thanks for the info