Spring River

Discussion in 'KANSAS RIVERS TALK' started by roger_syclone, Apr 29, 2007.

1. roger_syclone

roger_syclone New Member

State:
    mosinee,Wi
    Does anyone fish around the riverton, baxter springs ks. area or the little lake by the power plant ?

2. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I never have, but always have wanted to try it. Everytime I come home from school and get on 400 from I-44 I drive over it and think it looks like it holds some good cats. I wonder where you can get on it. I'm curious too... let us know if you try it out.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I haven't fished there for a while but its great catfishin. I ususally fish spring river just south of baxter on the Oklahoma side.

4. Redd

Redd New Member

State:
    Southeast Kansas
    I used to fish it quite a bit when I worked on a little place right on that river. The fishin' is great, but I'm usually at the Neosho river at Chetopa now. Don't know if you know much about fishin' rivers or not, but I've had good luck on that place on the downstream side of riffles. If you're lookin' for flats, try to find a brush pile or two to fish. It's a great river. Thinkin' about it makes me wanna go again. See ya 'round the boc.

-Red

5. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    I have fished the Spring river around riverton and Baxter Springs in the past, and have done well for catfish, crappie, bass, and channel cat.

Of late however...there is a State of Kansas consumption warning for Spring river regarding fish caught from Cow creek (From around Pittsburg, Kansas) and it's confluence with the Spring river....all the way down to Oklahoma...which includes the Baxter Springs/Riverton, Ks area.

It's a shame too...There are some really big flatties around the dams at Lowell and Shoal Creek.

I fish the Neosho river....20 miles west at the dam at Chetopa, Ks.

There is a day/night difference in the quality and quantity of fish caught at Chetopa rather than the Spring river at Baxter/Riverton.

In short...The spring river isn't bad...but the Neosho is great.