Spring Reservoir Catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Catmaster9786, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Catmaster9786

Catmaster9786 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hey guys i know that channel cats move shallow in the spring but how shallow do they get and at what water temp do they start moving up? What are the types of places i should be looking for this time of year? And do cats feed better during the day or at night this time of year? I didnt know if the warming water temperatures would make them bite better during the day or if they always star nocturnal. I generally fish central ohio reservoirs. Thanks for any pointers you can give me?

2. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    With the warming water temps i usually target shallow coves and feeder creek mouths. Depth from 3 to 6 feet. Ive caught good channel cats in just a couple feet of water even during the day this time of year. I mostly use live bait. The wait might be a little longer but you usually hook up with larger fish using larger live bait. Now day vs. night I usually do alittle better in the early morning this time of year but have caught them at anytime. Its kinda trial and error this time of year the places i fish.

3. Trahviiz

Trahviiz Member

State:
    Indianapolis
    Over here we hit a creek arm from mid March through the start of May. It rages from around 3 to 8 feet and channels of all size stack up in it. There's always a few early bites but they really start picking up around 11 after the sun has been up for a while. The bite doesn't seem as good as the sun starts setting. Good luck.

4. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    This time of year it can be really hard to track channel cat movement in reservoirs & lakes at times but Kip hit the nail on the head with the coves and especially where feeder creeks meet the main reservoir/lake. Find shallow flat areas close to deeper water and/or cover where schools of baitfish (particularly shad) are active and you'll likely find channels nearby. I've had more luck with channels this early in the year at the end of (around sundown) warm,sunny days in 3-6 feet of water. Good luck man!

5. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    If you don't locate baitfish around the feeder creek mouths in the reservoir try the river/creek a few hundred yards or more downstream from the Dam. Recently i've seen alot more active baitfish (and gamefish) in the river than in the Reservoir. (At Griggs in particular since i know you fish there)