Spring Peepers

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by flatheadfisher, Feb 6, 2008.

1. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I was outside feeding my pigeons and I heard the first spring peepers of the year! This is always a milestone of sorts for me because it means spring is coming! I like to see the days getting longer and the sun getting higher in the sky. But, the little frogs singing is one of the first signs that animal life is responding to the changes. It won't be long now until the turkeys are strutting and the crappie are spawning. Yipppppeeeeeee.

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Awww, I'll have to listen for them. Haven't heard them as of yet. I have a creek on my property, and the neighbor has a couple ponds.....I know there are some big bullfrogs in there, I hear them every year; but the peepers are around too. My dad got "peepered" once when he came over for dinner. On his way to the porch, one landed on his cheek :smile2:. Scared the HECK out of 'im, cute l'il thing though. He didn't know I had tree frogs mannin' the back door. :wink:

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea I know what you mean I cant wait for spring to get here to get the poles out, again and hit some lakes.

4. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Yep, listening to them right now in Elon, NC.
    Bigwhiskers

5. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    thats awesome. I know of a vernal pool where they breed up here along with spotted salamanders. those peepers are vantriliquists. Ive had them in front of me calling and it sounded like it came from my left even though I can see him calling.

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    michale what kind of pidgeons do you have.i have homers and tumblers myself.

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I love Peepers!! Still a few weeks off here though.

BUT.... One of my favorite spring spots is adjacent to a little Cattail swamp and when they and the larger frogs get going, looking for love, It can darn near drive you insane. Can be as loud as front row at a rock concert.

And, of course, the loudest nights are the nights the Channels are biting best!
    When I go deaf, I am blaming it on the Amphibians! :wink::smile2::smile2:

8. bigwhiskers

bigwhiskers New Member

State:
    Elon, North Ca
    Anybody know about "Shaker Knecks"? We had 'em when I was young.
    Bigwhiskers

9. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    I have Utility Kings, Birmingham Rollers, Oriental Rollers, and Homers. I am getting out of everything but the Oriental Rollers - they are hawk proof!

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

That brings to question....do any of you try to use frogs for bait during this time or just stick to the usual stuff? and do you target the areas where the frogs are calling to see if the cats are in there after them like bass will?

11. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Mmm.. Don't know why, but I never thought of that.
    Just figured they came up the creek for the bluegills and such. I do know that the Carp will wallow in the Cattails when the water gets up a bit.

12. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I got "skeeter" bit at the boat ramp yesterday!!! Spring is coming..LOL!!!

13. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Been lookin at the flowers poppin up here where I'm at and even some of the trees have new buds on em:big_smile:.Come on Spring!!!!!