spring mushrooms

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by catfishman352007, Apr 3, 2009.

1. catfishman352007

catfishman352007 New Member

State:
    ARNOLD/IMPERIAL
    has anyone found any red or morals mushrooms yet or is it too early for them im wanting to get info to where is the best place and areas to look i know in the woods so no smart comments please thanks for all infos:smile2:

2. jctiger

jctiger New Member

State:
    Grain Valley Missouri
    I havent heard of anyone finding any yet(KC area)but
    if we could get some warm days(70+)then maybe soon.Check around
    dead Elm trees and along stream banks.

3. catman872

catman872 Member

State:
    missouri
    least a week away

4. Pipe Rat

Pipe Rat Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    There was a man in Ofallon Il. on the news last night that found 300 grey morels in his backyard Friday morning.

5. big cat matt

big cat matt Member

State:
    mo,OSAGE ARM TRUMAN
    red ones r being found around truman,last week of march almost every year.the morels come a little later

6. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I use my redbud tree as an indicator. :wink: When it is in full bloom, the mushrooms will be too. It just started blooming, and will be in full bloom in a week or two. It's still been frosting here at night off and on. One of these days soon, when it's been warm for about a week straight, I will get the command from my inner-being, and it will be time to go hunt.

Where to find them? In the woods! :smile2: (Couldn't help it, lol.) Yeah, everybody has their pet theories. My theory is this...They grow in the same location year after year. I have mushroom patches that I harvest every year. Once you look for them, and locate them, it will be that way. You will just know where to go, and when. Don't tell a soul where you found them either. One of my best spots is on the edge of a field behind a group of cedar trees. Yeah, they need decomposing wood. Elm trees are good, just don't get too fixated on the elms because they can be anywhere. Same with may apples. I think they have about the same sunlight requirements, but that's where the connection ends. I can say that everywhere I find morels, there are gooseberry bushes, may apples, and dead trees...BUT...they are not everywhere those elements are, so go look, and eventually you will find them. The soil on south-facing slopes warms up first, so the first morels will likely be on south-facing slopes.

Good luck, and post your findings!:cool2:

7. Snagman23

Snagman23 Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Name:
    Sam
    my friends mom found 78 grey morels today around town and i talked to a guy at the weldon springs boat ramp who said his buddy found 250 grey and whites up to 4 inches in owensville. haven't heard of any white's around st louis, but several people are finding grey's. i think i'll wait a couple weeks to make it worth my time though.

8. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    I am ready for some shooms and crappie. :big_smile: I love this time of year.

I think that they are close, if the temps can stabilize a little

9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I've found a mess of morels. They aren't very big and everything i've found has been under sycamore trees. I think it's still a tad early and we need more warmth.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Before, after or during is fine with me.

11. cocatfish

cocatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We went out Sunday and found 72. Mostly greys but, some are white. The whites are starting to pop in the river bottoms.

Attached Files:

12. ozman

ozman New Member

State:
    Mo
    They have been finding reds and some grey morels around the lake at warsaw. They got froze last night.

13. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Dont get me wrong I love to eat mushrooms. But I would rather be on the water chashing blues.

Tom

14. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Nice find Chris.
    What times supper? I have the crappie fillets.....:002:

15. cocatfish

cocatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hi Troy, I figured you would have your full of reds by now.
    These mushrooms didn't last 3hrs in the house. Fried up and gone.

16. Snagmanmikejordan#

Snagmanmikejordan# New Member

State:
    missouri
    does anyone know if the cold weather can effect the mushroom sprouting? The only one i've seen so far is a red. but haven't been really out to hunt yet.

17. cocatfish

cocatfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    They should be popping within the next two weeks. Good luck

18. Shane Edwards

Shane Edwards New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yes they are up have even found a handful of big blonds around Grand Lake Ok

19. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Hit my motherlode spots today, knew it was early, not a sign of anything. The area usually has the big Yellow Morels. Near St. Louis. Need to give it another week or better I think.

20. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Found 6 grays 4/15 in west St. Charles Cty.