Spring lawn weeds

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Bayoubear, Jan 15, 2007.

1. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    for our southern bretheren its not too early to start thinking about a pre-emergent herbicide. with the govt taking away atrazine our winter options are a little more limited. a dose of 'barricade' now and watered in will help (better than nothing) with cool season weeds for early spring. be sure however to get the barricade down before soil temps reach 60 to prevent the crabgrass.

a word of caution tho. dont use barricade on st. augustine turf, they dont play well together. nor do you want to use any pre emergent on turf that you plan to overseed or aerate. as with any pesticide products read the label and make sure its an appropriate choice for the particular turf you have.

just because the turf is dormant doesnt mean its okay to go crazy with the "roundup" (glyphosate), it can still do damage. if you are 100 percent sure your turf is fully dormant you can very carefully spot treat individual grassy weeds. however due to cold expect only a 50 percent kill rate after a month.

fertilizing... IMHO a waste of time this part of the year. if you have done a soil test and determine a Ph imbalance now is a good time to add ammendments. NPK, of course N is a waste unless you have winter grass but the P and K can be added now if you want just make sure you test and your lawn needs them. the wrong fert to your turf is worse than no fert at all.

broadleaf weeds... im still seeing dandilions, henbit, and tons of various kinds of thistle. threeway, tri-power, etc... do a great job handling these even in cold weather. curling in 7 days, dead in 21. be sure you use the mix with mecoprop and dicamba in it and not a 2, 4-D blend.

:cool2:

2. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Well friend, if I killed all my weeds, my lawn would be gone LOL

3. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    I have been told not to use broadleaf weed killers untill March and April.
    I live on the Gulf Coast
    Not real sure what to do or which one to use on the St Agustine.

4. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    is why i made the distinction of using tripower without the 24.D as cool weather significantly reduces its effectiveness, the one i use is called "tripower" try a Lesco distributor to find it but may find it other other names. check the label for active ingreds... MCPA, MCPP (mecoprop), and dicamba. there are many broadleaf controls available under a tri-something name like triplet or trimec. u dont want either of those.

tripower over st augustine is perfectly safe, just be sure to follow label directions in regards to mix rates, a touch of dawn dish liquid will help the effectiveness of the control. one quick squirt from the bottle per gallon of spray is sufficient. i go thru perhaps 300 gallons of this stuff a day and half of its on st augustine.

the more dry days you can get after spraying the better however as long as you can get at least one day of dry after spraying you should get a sufficent kill rate. any weeds not curled after about two weeks id spray them again. avoid the preemergent "barricade" for your st aug but you can use one called simazine. id put out an application of it about now, and another dose at the end of next month. once the st aug wakes up for spring there really isnt a pre that id recommend. pre's and st aug dont get along too well and barricade esp can actually stunt its growth to the point it can kill it.