Spring is in the air, get ready to plant

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by brewfish, Feb 12, 2008.

1. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    Well the cool weather has almost completely subsided here and with all of these 70 - 80 deg days my mind once again turns to gardening. I have moved since last year and won't be able to have near the garden that I did last year but I’m still determined to have something. Last year I grew legend hybrid sweet corn, zucchini, squash, tomatoes, heirloom Mr. stripy tomatoes, eggplant, bell pepper, cayenne pepper, jalapeno peppers, blue lake bush beans, cucumbers, seedless watermelons and cantaloupe.

It was one of the larger gardens that I’ve had in a while but well worth the effort. I grew the corn in a 4'x4' raised beds and they actually pollinated pretty well. I marked the raised beds off into 1' square grids so was able to put 16 plants in one box. This corn had to be the sweetest, most tender almost buttery corn that I have ever had. The only things that didn't do too well were the heirloom tomatoes which didn't produce very many tomatoes and what did grow was attacked by bugs. The other let downs were the melons. They didn't produce much fruit but what they did got eaten by some pesky deer! They knocked holes in them and what they didn't eat raccoons finished off. I could even see their little claw marks left in the inside rind.

This year I'm going to have a few tomatoe plants, a couple of jalapeno's & scotch bonnets, a couple zucchini, maybe even a little block of corn and of course a little herb garden. I can't wait to taste some homegrown tomatoes again......they just don't get better than home
    grown. :002: Here's a couple of pics of last years garden

So what do yall plan on growing this year? Any pics of last years garden?

2. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I seen you are in Fla. and i hope every seed germenates. UNFORTUNATELY,,,,, it stinks heah!!! This ugly white stuff is a good source of fixated nitrogen, Buttttttttttttttttt, i rather buy it in da sak. Gawd, i'm tired of winter already.

4. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    Nice lookin garden brother, all I planted last year was maters but don't have pics. I will probably only have maters again this year. I love my home grown maters.

:big_smile:

5. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Got seeds started in 2 liter drink bottles and the sort.
    Minnie greenhouses.
    Digging out new bed, since trees are covering the old sites.

6. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Nice looking garden! Thanks for posting the pics. I'll help my parents with theirs again this year - various peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, cucumber, and zucchini. Artichokes, carrots and jalapenos didn't do worth a darn last year :(

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Can't plant yet, but I did see a robin this afternoon!! 1st one I've seen all winter! Spring can't be far behind.

8. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I'm planting onions and taters next weekend. We are putting in our first garden on the new place.

9. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Nice to hear about it, but we will have to wait a while here. It was 13 degrees this morning and we still have snow on the ground.

10. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I live in an apartment and never had a garden so I tried to start from seeds 3 times, they would get about an inch and die, had them inside also. So I went to the nursury and found starters about 6-8 inches tall for .98 cents so I got 2 diff maters and 5 diff hot peppers. Got them all in pots about 4 days ago and so far there thriving. :cross:

11. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice looking garden thanks for the pictures

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Im getting ready to settle on a new house of 4/25. right now Ive been digging up my perenials and my raspberry canes & 2 dozen june bearing strawberry plants from my 10' x 10' patch to take with me to the new place. Should I trim the canes back or leave them long? I noticed where one of them had their tip on the ground, it started roots and sprouting up as another plant. I was thinking of planting them so the cane is flat to the ground with a few spots of soil along the way to see if it'll sprout up multiple plants.