Spring food plots

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Todd Strong, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Just wondering if anyone is planning there spring plots, and what there thoughts are on what your going to plant this year, soil testing, soil preperation.

Maybe others would think it would be helpfull if they were thinking of spring plots or wanting to change there own. And also the trial and errors that some of us has run into.

Here about the middle of april will have get the ground disked and pull an soil test. I'am sure its going to have to be limed again this year.

I'am thinking of strip planting this year the full 5 acres, strips of buckwheat, Iron and clay peas, lab lab beans with an hybrid grain sorghum and sweet corn for wildlife and myself also.

2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I gained access to a piece of prime realest last year and I want to put some plots in old loader sets when the timber was select cut. I'm wanting to burn them off and maybe they will be easier to break up this spring. There on top of a ridge and prolly pretty rocky but i'm gonna plant something. Also need to get some mineral sites established in the area.

3. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Ya I need to refresh my mineral sites here soon. Burning will help a lot. Burned mine last spring and will probably burn it this spring.

4. catfishbills

catfishbills New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The deer that are in my area dont respond well to a mineral lick for some reason. I have had good success with rye grass and wheat, but it doesnt help them much on nutrition, I think there getting everything they need from surrounding areas or something!:eek:oooh: