Spring Fever

Discussion in 'LOCAL MINNESOTA TALK' started by masterbaiter, Apr 11, 2008.

1. masterbaiter

masterbaiter New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Okay, I took the day off of work today to get some homework done and do some work in the garage. Why is it that the weather turns to crap when I have a day off??? and when I fill in for someone on my regular day off, the weather is perfect? It's like during the summer and I wash my car.....it rains the next day.......I really should see if my washing style simulates an Indian Rain Dance.:eek:oooh:

That being said....I'm bored.....I have spring fever and hear the river calling me. I have fished the Minnesota for some time and usually don't start my catting until Mothers Day. I've heard about early spring fishing in other states but I haven't heard much about MN. I usually fish Black Dog and get the warmer water leaving the lake for the river. I've had really good success but the access is kind of tough, the hang ups are tiresome and right now I'm not sure if a barbell could hold the line down. I'd like to try a new location and encourage anyone to enlighten me to cool water catfishing.

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Welcome to the BOC from Alabama!! Glad to have you! I'm sure someone from your neck of the woods will be along soon to offer their advice. Good Luck!

3. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC. From Kentucky.

4. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome to the boc it seems like thats the way it works sometimes

5. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Early spring cats can be awesome here. I've been fishing the Miss in Minneapolis, and I'll be hitting the MN on Friday. They're there, but it's been tougher this year to get consistent action.

I know a couple pretty decent spots around the Twin Cities area that have been putting out a few cats, but I think the real bite will get going in a couple weeks. Keep yer line tight and yer bait fresh,

Ben

6. masterbaiter

masterbaiter New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thanks for the reply Ben. I agree about the waiting for good weather but hey, this in MN. 75 last Wednesday and 21 this morning. The fish are acting like me in the morning...I don't want to get up either.

Ben, do you fish dip, cut, or live? I've been having great luck on the MN with live but this time of year it's hard to find suckers.

7. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Dan- I have yet to catch a cat on dip bait in Minnesota. I don't know why. It works great south of here.

I have been using cut shad or sucker. Shad seems to work better most days, but I'm not sure how much it really matters. Moore's bait in Minneapolis carries frozen shad, and sometimes he freezes his dead suckers. That's where I get mine. I prefer getting live suckers, so they're as fresh as possible when I cut 'em up.

The channel cats have been getting hungrier lately. I was out Friday and managed six over the course of a couple hours. I think the big-time bite is just around the corner.

8. masterbaiter

masterbaiter New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    This is really great to know. I have never used shad and was wondering where I could get some. As far as the fish are moving. I'm getting out today and enjoying the weather. Thanks for the tips. I've been down near blackdog on the minnesota...water is up quite a bit and it helps keep the snags down. I'll let you know how it went

9. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I haven't fished Blackdog this year. Heck, I haven't made it to the Minnesota River once yet. It's been a busy spring, and every time I have the day off the weather does not want to cooperate. I'm thinking about heading to Fort Snelling tomorrow to hit Pike Island and the confluence, since it's supposed to be nice out.

Good luck. I look forward to the report.

10. masterbaiter

masterbaiter New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I missed the trip to the Minnesota and installed the dock today. I live on Minnetonka as a caretaker. Catfishing is just one of my pleasures. So, I got my workout in, and worked on the sunburn. I think the sunburn worked better. Let me know how things go at Snelling. I love to hear more about places to go. I have a couple of friends who get together with me from time to time and could always use another person to show us the way or fish at our holes.

Dan

11. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The channels are biting on the MN...
    Last friday my buddy and I hooked up with a pair of 9LB and a bunch in the 3-6lb range.
    Waters warming and dropping it helps a lot.
    the confluence will be getting good in the next few days.

12. masterbaiter

masterbaiter New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I'm glad to hear the Minnesota is looking good. I no longer have a boat so the shore fishing can be a bit challenging when the water is high. Thanks!

13. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Snelling went like this:

I got there by bike at around 10:30. Locked up the bike and hiked in to my spot, about 1/2 mile. Got set up, baited up, cast in, and started catching them. I got five fish between 3 and 5 pounds. I tried a new spot and got this one. 11lbs, 4 oz. It was a perfect day to be catfishing... warm, sunny, and a nice breeze to keep the bugs off me. After about four or five hours, I ran out of bait and went home to have a tall cold one.

Another reminder: check yourself for ticks when you get home. I had three.

Attached Files:

14. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yeah ticks are out for sure. Had one attached to me friday night.
    Between my buddy and I fishing only two nights we caught about 30 flats. The 8 biggest totaled 253 lbs.

15. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    That would be called HOGSLAMMIN
    Cool

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    <The 8 biggest totaled 253 lbs.>

That's impressive!! BTW: Welcome from sunny SC to the BOC MB. You are at the right place to gain many new friends and valuable info!
    Bill in South Carolina

17. masterbaiter

masterbaiter New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You have a secret location don't you? ha ha...........congratulations, that is amazing!!