Spring Crappie Fishing

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by RiverOtter, Feb 23, 2006.

1. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was reading a magazine and it said to fish shallow waters with a small jig head and small Mr. Twister. It said to fish logs and were there is a lot of under water structure. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts.

:0a36:

2. Catcaller

Catcaller New Member

State:
    SoutheastKansas
    One reason it's a good idea to fish around wood structure is that wood retains heat radiated from the sun.

Crappie will move shallow in the early spring even if there's a minute raise in temperature. On a really warm day after it's been cold...they will come up into water as shallow as 2 to 4 feet deep.

I have success using 1/64 all the way up to 1/8...and even 1/4 oz jig heads.

My favorite plastic trailer is a Little Fishie in white with red eyes...or a Swimin' minnow in Blue thunder or Red/Yellow/Orange.

The size of the plastic trailer would depend on the size of the jighead I'm using. Obviously a very small jighead isn't suitable for a 3" trailer. For instance I'd use a 1" or 1 1/2" trailer on a 1/16 oz jighead....or a 2" trailer on a 1/8 oz jighead...or a 3" trailer on a 1/4 oz jighead.

Blakemore's Road Runner is a great choice for Crappie as well. Maribou or plastic both work very well....either casted or in a vertical presentation.

Another great option is to use a jighead...and instead of tipping it with a plastic trailer...impale a suitable sized minnow through it's bottom jaw and out it's skull. It's not neccessary for the minnow to be alive. The scent of the natural bait will both attract fish...and cause them to hold onto the bait longer after they strike...instead of spitting it out immediately when they suspect that something just ain't right.

Sometimes THE most important factor can be your line. I prefer a flourocarbon line in clear water where line shy fish may spook due to the visibility of your line. Flourocarbon line has the same refractive tendecy of water...enabling it to blend in with the surroundings.

Berkley Transition is a flourocarbon line that appears gold above water (Making it easier for you to see)...but then disappears a few feet under the water....making it harder for the fish to see. It's a bit more pricey than regular monofilament ($14 for 250 yards at Bass Pro shops)...but it also is even more abrasion resistant and has less memory than mono does.

I say the line can be the most important factor...but what REALLY matters is keeping your line wet. It's hard to catch fish when you don't have a line in the water.

Hope this helps...Good luck catching some slabs in 2006. I have cleaned 3 dozen or so thus far...but too much is never enough when it comes to crappie or walleye! Good eatin'!!

3. r_bray89

r_bray89 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    Yes that is true and should be fished in a variaty ways and different colrs and style good luck and have fun.

4. RiverOtter

RiverOtter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks guys. That is true, you cant have enough crappie. If anyone else has any pointers I will be glad to take them.

:thumbsup:

5. mazdabob

mazdabob New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, IA (Omaha)
    Thanks, for the advice! This is really only the second season I've gone after crappie, so hopefully this year will be a bit better then last.

6. bankpoleken

bankpoleken New Member

State:
    Mattoon, Illinois
  7. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    i mainly use jigs with plain red and green skirts,but i do change colors.sometimes i tip em with a minnow or just use minnows on an aberdeen hook

8. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Any of yall use a drift sock, reason I ask is I have a small john boat, and when I try to troll, that lilboat flys over the water, will a drift sock work?

9. jdog

jdog New Member

State:
    mo.
    use them all the time they work great:)

10. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Crappie are predators they like movement,if I am jigging I use 1/8 oz jigs,
    with a chartruse twister tail. I also use silver jigs that I made that has little moving eyes that I glued on, the eyes can be purchased hobby shops...its a killer. Honestly for spring I prefer live bait...I like the bass size minnows, fished at around 2 feet, with a small splitshot and stick style float...the round plastic floats seem to catch or slip along the water
    and reduce my chances of a good hookup. I also found that using the
    larger bass minnows...the fish are larger. Waxworms are an excellant
    bait as well as maggots. Fish downed trees, especialy the ones with limbs
    underwater, brush piles, rocks, anything with good structure. After the
    spring spawn...fish deeper water, the fish can be found around bridge structures and limestone piles. I like ultralite rods for crappie fishing and
    4 lb line, it's alot of fun...but when a 5 lb bass snags the minnow...the
    war is on. Lot of luck to you...good fishing. Paul

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Its a little early in the season in Il. to use any type of jig that requires lots of movement.

It might work,but this time of year it is more effective to drift or hold a simple 2-2.5 inch jig under a sensitive float.Gotta put it right on their nose.

You will get a few being aggresive,but sloooow is the ticket for a few more weeks

12. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Agreed on "slow," I actually use a GPS to monitor my trolling speed. Optimum speed is 0.8 mph... with floats will sometimes move as slow as 0.4 - 0.5 mph. Floats or not, if you get above 1.0 mph, you're wasting your time.

13. catstalker

catstalker New Member

State:
    kentucky
    We had a really nice crappie season last year here on lake cumberland. We fished a lot of structure such as downed trees and bridge structure, mostly fishing medium sized minnows for bait. But some of our biggest fish were caught drifting minnows over the flats. We never caught a small crappie while using this method. I believe the smaller fish stay close to the cover to escape predators. So, this year I plan on focusing a little more attention on the flats instead of structure and hopefully increase my overall catch size.