Spring brings out the rattlers in Palo Duro canyon (south of Amarillo, TX)

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by olefin, Jul 6, 2009.

1. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Wife and I attended the outdoor musical drama "Texas" in the Palo Duro Canyon couple years ago. I'm not into musicals but this one was outstanding!
    Didn't see any of these little fellows in the pictures below..... but it wasn't in the spring or the exact area.
    :cool2:

pic 1

pic 2

pic 3

pic 4

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

DANG Dayton, freak a girl out why don't ya? :eek:oooh: That's a pile of snakes.

My mom's first cousin, Bill Turnbow, used to be a rattlesnake wrangler in that area of Texas. Don't think he handles the snakes much anymore; he traps for the ranchers out there now, bobcats and coons mostly. I realize they have to do it to protect their livestock, and after watching a video he made I must say, he has some beautiful bobcat pelts.....I'd just rather see 'em on the cats :wink:. Kinda sad seeing so MANY hanging from the rafters.

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dayton thanks for sharing the pics and info. I've never visited that area. Looks interesting and beautiful. The video clip of the musical was nice also. I can't handle the snakes. If I was in that area my mind would be on the ground looking for snakes and probably would miss everything else.

4. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Last place Id ever want to step, other than off a cliff !!! :smile2:

5. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You just gave me the willys,that would scare me to death:eek:oooh::crazy:

6. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

I have a question about rattlesnakes....is it true they can bite, like a reflex action, after they are dead? I don't remember ever hearing this before; saw it in a movie the other evenin'. :confused2: (Movie was set in rural Alabama, late '50s.)

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tanya, not sure about your question.

But I have a friend that swears one bit him after he took it out of the freezer. He was getting ready to skin it. He had been a rattlesnake hunter for years, made all the roundups, etc. After he dang near lost his arm from that bite he stop messing with rattlers.

8. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    My question is WHO WAS THE DUMMY TO GET THAT CLOSE TO THOSE SNAKES TO TAKE THE PICS IN THE FIRST PLACE ? I f i saw something like that the last thing on my mind would not be taken pics,hunting clean drawers would be 1st order of business :wink::smile2::smile2: