Spring Break Trip to Table rock

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by BajaCoop, Apr 1, 2009.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    Spent 4 days of spring break down on table rock doing some spoonbill snagging and white bass fishing. Despite the terrible weather had pretty good fishing. Managed to boat 21 spoonies in 4 days or fishing and got 9 white bass (7 of which where 2-3 lbs) in an afternoon. Biggest spoonbill was around 70 pounds.

Will post pics in a bit

2. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    WOW!!! Great fish Ed. That sounds like an awesome trip!
    I have got to go spoonie snaggin some time...never done it before.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Congrats Ed! Nice whites, some good looking spoons, the one must have felt like a leaf on your hook, LOL

5. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Ed wishes he was good enough to catch some like this......:wink:

Attached Files:

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    LOL, do you even know it is on there before you reel in? LOL

now, may be a dumb question for there, but here in Il, if you were to snag a little one like that according to the "regs" you would have to keep it.... every and anything snagged is to be kept here no culling of any fish. Is that the same over that way?

7. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    They have to be 34" from fork of the tail to the eye ball to be legal on LoZ, Tablerock, and Truman. You can keep a daily limit of two. As soon as you keep your second fish, then you are done.

We usually catch and release several fish before keeping our limit. Now I'm not 100% on whether you are supposed to stop after catching two legal sized fish or only if you keep your second legal fish. We've always just released them so we could keep fishing. I've never gotten a clear answer on this yet and know several people who do the same thing.

Those little ones like that just feel like you got a stick or something. They don't fight at all, but you notice something just feels different. We've never caught them that small down there before so I'm guessing the recently stocked a bunch or something. I've heard other's say they are getting a lot of tiny paddlefish like this on the other reservoirs too.

8. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    (8) On Lake of the Ozarks and its tributaries,
    Osage River below U.S. Highway 54 and
    Truman Lake and its tributaries, no person
    shall continue to snag, snare or grab for any
    species after taking a daily limit of two (2)​
    paddlefish.

is the only specifically mentioned regulation concerning snagging after you have your limit

9. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    I'm assuming that means "keep" your limit of two fish. I hate when rules have those "grey" area's like that. :sad2:

10. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    yeah i dunno

might just call a conservation office or go to one and get an explanation with a signature attached.

11. hillbilly25002000

hillbilly25002000 New Member

State:
    missouri
    nice fish way to go i would like to try snagging sometime

12. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Way to go Ed! Tried to rep ya but I have to spread the love. Looks like this years spring break was a good time. I had fun on my spring breaks but all I had to show for it was a sore liver and pics of good people making bad decisions.:smile2:

13. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    yeah i did that for spring break last year and decided snagging big ole paddlefish was more for me