Spring Break to Mexico beach, Surf fishing tips needed.

Discussion in 'Salt Water Fishing' started by mcwrestler, Mar 5, 2008.

1. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This spring break me and a group of friends from my college are headed to Mexico Beach Florida for a week. I have surf fished at Myrtle Beach befor ebut never had any luck and that was over 8 years ago. I have a decent selection of rods to choose from. I have the Medium/Heavy 7ft I use for cats and I have 2 12ft Euro Carp rods in 3lb test curve that can throw 4-6oz over 80 yards, sometimes in excess of 100 yards. What should I bring and how should I fish the area.

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Spring break in mexico................... :cry::cry: Ohh to be young and thin again... Well if you have to do something while waiting on the women to get ready and your not diving, fishing would be great! Good luck. Party hard but becareful with the sauce and dont drink the water!! I wish you Tight lines and great views to you. Dont forget a camera.

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well actually it is in Florida, but we will spend a few days in Panama City and I have heard it is impossible to not have fun.

4. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    I'm not really sure about the gulf side of FL but where i live on the Atlantic side here's what's been going on lately. Pompano if your in the right place and can get your hands on some sand fleas, a few black drum, sometimes reds or snook, whiting, catfish galore (usually hard heads, sometimes gafftop sails) and maybe even a few small blue fish. I've also caught spotted sea trout and flounder on occasion in the surf but that's not an every day thing. If you can get the bait out far enough sharks are also possible targets.

The thing about reds and snook is your going to have a hard time finding them in the open surf. They do cruise up & down the shore line looking for food so you'll occasionally get lucky but more often than not you'll have a lot more luck finding them around bridges, piers & jetties. Having some kind of structure makes a huge difference.

If you do try your luck fishing off sturcture than you can catch almost everything I listed above including spanish mackerel (not sure when they start showing up) and sheepshead.

As far as gear goes you can use both the 7ft & 12ft rods if you like. Obviously the big rods will take the waves better but you can stick the big rods in a sand spike and tie on a buck tail jig tipped with shrimp and work any eddies, sand bars, etc that you might see while your waiting on the other pole. If the blues are there in numbers (i doubt it since it's starting to get pretty warm around here) you can use a gotcha plug for them.

As far as rigs and bait it's hard to tell you what exactly to use until I know if you plan on only fishing the surf or if you might try fishing off some type of structure and what species you would like to go after.

5. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would just fish from the beach in our condos backyard. Probably little structure. We would be fishing to kill time and hang out but it would be nice to catch something to eat some time. We may eventually go to a pier but we will probably be too busy elsewhere. What are the regulations like for visitors surf fishing, license cost??

6. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    If you can't find a good time in Panama City then your better check your pulse because something is seriously wrong! Have fun don't drink to much and most of all don't have sooo much fun you end up having to pay for it for the next 18 years. :wink:

7. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
  8. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've fished Destin nearby but only offshore. I'd do a google search of bait shops in the area and call them. They are always anxious to help a future customer. With fuel prices you may find a fisherman willing to take you out for some gas money. Find a good marina with a bait shop. It's called the Emerald Coast. Most beautiful beaches and green water I've ever seen in the states. Don't be one of those guys that take a nose dive off a balcony every year.

9. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    I would just buy a couple of pre-made rigs from the local bait shop along with a pack of frozen shrimp and mullet. I would have one pole rigged with a wire leader blue fish style rig and the on the other pole i would probably go with whiting rig.

The whiting rig will be usually be made out of 15-20lb monofiliment. They have a swivel at the top and then 2 dropper loops below that with a red bead & smaller size hook on each loop and at the bottom will be some type of snap swivel where you can attach either a pyramid or sputnik style sinker. In calm seas pyramid work fine but if it's a little rougher there is no substitution for the sputnik IMHO.

The other rig is basically the same except it's made out of wire so you don't get cut off by sharp teeth and the hooks will be bigger in order to handle mullet and they don't have any teaser beads or floats by the hooks like a whiting or pompano rig will have.

This should give you a pretty good shot at catching something since you'll using more than just one style rig or bait. When you bait the whiting rig you will want to peel the shrimp before putting them on the hook. If they are a decent size once peeled I would cut them in half and just use half per hook. The shrimp stay on the hook better when peeled and for some reason I always seem to catch more fish when I do this.

If you can help it try fishing the outgoing tide or even the incoming tide. When the tide isn't moving the bite is usually slow to nonexistent. The regulations are easily found by a quick google of flordia saltwater regulations. The last time my dad was down here I think he had to pay either 15 or 20 bucks for a 3 day non-resident fishing license.

Hope this helps, good luck!

10. RDJones

RDJones New Member

State:
    Thornville, Ohio
    Bottom fishing with a fish finder rig works well with a 3 or 4 oz pyramid sinker. Frozen bait does not work well because it becomes soft and will not stay on the hook. The best bait is fresh cut bait. Use shrimp to catch a whiting, pompano, blue fish or topsail catfish. Cut the fish into piece and use that for bait.

Good luck!