SPRING BLUE CATFISH

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by catoon, Feb 1, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    i have moved closer to the tenn river from the miss river.im getting my fishing gear ready.was wondering what month do yall start catting for blues?

2. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    we always start doing pretty good below Pickwick when water temp got 50 or over which usualy was early March

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Roger,

Nice Blue you have in your avitar ,Whats the weight on it? :eek:oooh:Fat

4. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Kenny he(she?) went 73#

5. RobbHeb

RobbHeb New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    thats a beautiful fish man.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    WOW no doubt, what a PIG!!!:crazy:

7. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama

Blues on the Tenn is 12 months a year....:wink:

8. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Richard, I personaly have struggled to catch any big fish below Pickwick in the winter, but only tried a dozen or so times. I did catch enough a few weeks ago to wear a blister on my hand from the rod. Caught abought 40 anywhere from 2-15lbs. The best time from my experience on that stretch of river is early March until around June. I will say those fellows in Alabama haven't seemed to struggle too much. I have often wondered how much those blues move from season to season.

9. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama
    I will say those fellows in Alabama haven't seemed to struggle too much...

Well Chirs just to let you know I have been skunked the last two times I have been out here in Alabama.......

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    theres a few hawgs in those pictures . im hoping to sell my home and land here and move to tennessee this year , maybe i will have a new picture holding one of them pigs .

11. j.bridges

j.bridges Active Member

State:
    arab,alabama

Well just come on...we'll be glad to have you....:wink:

12. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Water temp. here in La. on the Red River today is 59 Degrees. 20 foot deep.

13. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    That would be nice ours was in high 30's last weekend

14. TrophyHunt

TrophyHunt New Member

State:
    Georgia
    We catch our biggest fish in the coldest months. Blues seem to get fat for the winter on the Tennesse.

15. Mrquickset

Mrquickset New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Some of my greatest experiences with blues has come in February and March in Kentucky. Deep water is important. Some rivers and "river-fed" lakes in the South are lowered to a "Winter Pool" this time of year. This allows the fisherman to access deep holes in the main channel from the bank. In this case, I would focus on the lake areas above the dams.

The blues also seem to be grouped up so if you catch one, there's a good chance you're in for some great action. On the other hand if I received no bites in 45 minutes or so, I would move to another location.

Another key for me is lots of rain. When heavy rains cause the clear river channel to become extremely muddy, I have always caught blues. I have caught them in water so muddy, you could almost cut it with a knife...not quite, but you get my point. I usually start fishing while it's raining if at all possible. Sometimes when a cold front is moving through, the rain turns to sleet and makes it tough to contend with...ice build-up on the rod tip and in the reel can also cause problems when the temperature drops. I try to park myself under a bridge when this happens :)

When you find the blues this time of year, take good notes of locations and times and weather conditions and bait offerings...shad is a good start, crappie heads will even work. Check your game laws first. Chances are, you will find blues in these locations year after year.

Good luck

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    I posted this before,This 25-30 acre lake I fish here in Ky,at the end of Feb,to the middle of March.
    You can go there early in the morning and with 2-3"bluegills or shiners,with a slip float setting at a depth of 4 1/2 -6',#4-Gama octopus. get set up and wait and watch the water on the west bank when the sun comes up,and just as the striper's chase them shad out of the water ,you can see the boils in the water,and their is no striper's in this lake!.like toilet bowls flushing :lol: You cast on them as quick as you can ,and Bro it ain't a minute your float will raise up and then disappear!gone!.,line rippin off the reel and your laughing your head off as well.

From 15-46 lb fish every time you cast to one. But it wouldn't last long tho 2-4hrs.at the most.It seemed like as soon as the sun got high on the water the fish left?. you could catch 4-7 fish a day.

7 being the most my Bro and I caught one morning 3 years back. The biggest I seen come out of this lake was 67lbs..So Keep you eyes on the look-out for the boils on the water in the shallows this spring!. What you might think are striper's they might just be a Blue of a life-time. Good Luck and God Bless.