Spring Battle Plans

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by Bmac, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    Been a long time since I targetted cats early spring on a resevoir. Spent my early days fishing spring runoffs in creeks and small rivers feeding the lakes. Later yrs were spent chasing walleye and wipers during the spring.

The first severals yrs after I started fishing from small boats,I done well picking channels up in the southern most coves. Can't remember what month,but the water was just warming up in the calm shallows. I think the cats were in there feeding on crappie eggs. I'd pitch shinners hanging below slip bobbers at weeds edge,using 6-8 lb test on ultralites. Sometimes you'd see the weeds parting,and pitch in front of them. Caught a lot of 4-10 lb channels on those lite rigs. Lost a bunch too,but much fun!

Know you can find them up in the flats at ice-off picking up winter kill,but that's really before what I'd call spring.

2. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Better put up the light tackle and use some heavier gear for some of them big blues. Those big boys will show up shallow and eat the shad kill too. In fact they will stay on the upper end until the end of the shad spawn, last year Milford was hot up til the end of May. Virgil came in with 163 on five fish all because of the shad spawn. This year should be even better with all the ice and the hopeful shad kill. I like to use lighter poles in the spring and as the bite becomes more aggressive I start using a heavier pole. I can't wait for this ice to get off and go after some of them hawgs.

3. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Shhhhhh :quiet::secret::winky:

4. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Which end is jinx? The upper end or the front?:confused1::quiet:

5. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    Damnit man, your getting me excited. Haven't tied into one of those for too long.

6. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    Sorry Jay, I ment to say those fish are scattered, deep and hard to caught.:secret::secret:

7. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    That's the pattern I usually see also. Head down south and find the deepest water you can. I have the best luck catching them on whole kernel corn in deep water. :good:

8. kuhlcat

kuhlcat New Member

State:
    kansas
    I found that corn dogs work really good that time of the year plus bring a few extra for lunch. It is a win win situation.:Happy:

9. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I will have to try the corn dogs. Sure beats eating the extra cold corn out of a can for lunch like I usually do.:=:)

10. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Member

State:
    Kansas
    I find Hominy much better than corn! larger and stays on the hook....:laugh1:

11. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Wish you guys would quit giving all my secrets away on the lower end of the lake..:secret::secret:

12. Gamblen

Gamblen New Member

State:
    Kansas City, KS
    Are you all talking about the upper end and front end of a boat and eating bait??

:tongue1:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  13. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Never fish the front of my boat if you want to catch anything. The rear rod holders are the secret. Ask Nate or Larry :laugh1:.

14. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Brian, looking forward to Catfishing with you this year, either on your or my Catoon.
    I fished with John a couple of times, never did get to fish with you.

Yeah, Judy finally decided to hang it up last year. Her knee replacement didn't work out to good, she was only working part time 3 days a week at the school in Chapman. Sounds like that's where they're gonna stay,up in Wyoming, at least the last time I talked with her.

If you're ever up here, be sure to stop by, just call to make sure I'm/we're here, I'll pm you my cell number. Looking forward to seeing you again.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010
  15. Bmac

Bmac Member

State:
    Kansas
    I'll bring the corn,if you bring the beer. Ha!... if

We'll do that,prolly sooner than later. Funny you never made it out with me. Thought everybody has at least once. Went out on your Catoon several times. Remember the day we were fishing the damn for,well we were fishing the damn not 50' off the rocks. When an inboard V8 party cruiser came thru trolling between us and the damn,then turned around and came back thru. I can't recall exactly what you told them,but I do remember laughing about it for an hour. I think it was the friendly wave they give you that set you off. :wink: