Spring Bank Poles Advice

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by wicooner, Apr 2, 2009.

1. wicooner

wicooner New Member

State:
    WI
    I am planning on running some spring bank poles opens April 1st in WI. I will generally be on small streams and on the Mississippi River. With the current VHS rules (fish disease) in place seining minnows or catching creek chubs and using them on the river is difficult and troublesome. I plan to use bullhead, small perch and bluegills when I can.

Looking for any advise on using dip (stink) bait or other bait (dough) that I may be able to use. Not looking for monsters just some nice eaters.

Am also looking for advise on the difference live bait will make over dead?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    If i just want to catch som good eater channel, i use bee-jay or catfish charlies shad blood dough bait. Those have always been tried and trusty for me. Most Wally worlds will carry either one of those. Good luck

3. wicooner

wicooner New Member

State:
    WI
    Well I am only catching bullhead. Using Nightcrawlers. Only a couple feet of water. Water is finally warming up and falling. Will try to find some holes this weekend. Any advise guys?

Fishing the Mighty Miss.

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Brent, if you are just trying to catch channels, I would get some 1/2 in PVC about 5 ft long, BRAIDED line, 6/0 wide gap circles, about 2 oz egg sinkers, large barrel swivels. Tie the line off on the PVC 3 ft. long add the egg sinker and barrel swivel, then tie a 2 ft line off the swivel and then to your hook. (This should all equal pretty close to 5 ft which will allow you a very quick and easy way to store your bank poles, just put the hook into the opposite end of the PVC and your done) and bait them up with some fresh caught cut bait in about 2-3 inch squares - I use shad, but ANY cut bait will work - a really easy bait for your situation would be cut carp or river perch (sheepshead). Find the banks with some drop-offs and plant them there. Hope this helps some!