Spring 2006: Sink or Float?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by SangamonCatKiller, Jan 17, 2006.

1. SangamonCatKiller

SangamonCatKiller New Member

State:
    central illinois
    I has come to my attention that I do not fish enough with the float rig presentation.. I was wondering how many other people are making the same mistake. Fishing dropoffs with floating rigs has been a long time activity of some fishermen I am sure. I also know it pays off. But, how many are using float rigs to present bait in a different way. Consider using them in heavy cover. I know you would think that river fishing, heavy cover, and floats don't go together. The rig known as the Paternoster rig is great for such adventures. Unfortunately I do not know how to post an illustration of the rig at this time(If someone else can that would be great). It consists of a large tube float on a separate line with a weight(1/2 to 8 oz.) on the same line.The main line has a barrel swivel and a short leader of stiffer line on it. This minimizes tangling of the two lines. With this you can cast slightly downstream of your target(in current) and let the rig hold your bait a set distance from the heaviest of cover. You may want to experiment with the area before you get set up to do this, you will likely lose a rig or two trying to figure out exactly how close you can get to the cover. Unless of course you know the area very, very well. Anyways this is something that I will be trying for the first time this year, so if there is anyone who knows the rig and its limitations well feel free to add. Thanks.!:cool:

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i dug up these photos of paternoster rigs. i,ve used them before in snag infested areas and they work pretty good. only thing i done different than these photos were i used a sliding swivel where the weight is attached and i didnt use the swivel right under the float. if there is heavy current though you can forget it. havent used one in years and forgot about them, thanks for reminding me.

Attached Files:

3. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    Thanks, that is what i'm talking about, except with heavier line, two barrel swivels and of course heavier weight.

4. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    The funny thing is there's a lot of times when I'm on the bank fishin and the thought come's up that I should switch to a float rig. Alot of the time I get to stubburn with myself to do so. This year I will though.

5. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    That's what happens to me as well. I just don't wanna go through with the setting up of the rig and the lines potentially tangling up and all. I think patience will be the key for me this year. :cool:

6. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i use 12 inch cigar floats whne i fish the river here.alot of people use to look and me funny when i started but now they are coming around. its real rocky and if you fish on bottom you get hung up 50% of the time. with a float you can fish as deep as you want and also keep your bait out of the rocks and snags. also makes the bait look to be floating by instead of just laying on the bottom.

7. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Wow, what are there 6 or 7 knots on that rig pictured? The knot is usually the weakest part of the rig. I'd be afraid of all of the knots involved with that rig! I'd also be afraid I'm gonna tangle that ALL up!

I'll post a pic of a rig that does a similar job without all the apparent fuss. If I had to put a name on it, I'd call it the Coach Adams rig. Pics to follow...

8. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    Maybe this picture will work. When I fish, I use this rig except that I don't use the straw and/or cork and I only use one bead. The hook is tied to the main line and sits right against the bead/swivel. I tend to lose a lot of weights but seldom lose a hook or swivel.

Maybe the straw is exactly what is used for the extension. It may be a piece of hose or something similar. Anyway, the idea is the same.

Sorry for the crude drawing.

Attached Files:

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I rarely fish lakes, but when I do this year, I am going to look at using rigs like this. I now have a new goal for this year: Expirement w/ new float rigs.

10. SangamonCatKiller

State:
    central illinois
    go fish, I def. hear what you are saying with big fish snapping line at the knots. The pic on top is not exactly what I am talking about. I have been researching float rigs and have found a great one line rig that works the same as the above rig without multiple weak spots. I will post a pic of it as soon as I can.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was thinking the same thing.Sure looks like alot of things to break off or fail with that rig.I like just to use a sinker with a splitshot on the main line with the hook.You may get hung up and lose more tackle that way but to me its more sensative and can detect light bites better then all that stuff hanging on you line.

12. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

The float I use is a 20 ounce plastic soda bottle. Fully adjustable. Comes with line notches in the threads on the cap so ya dont scuff the line much. Or you can use the ring provided. Easy for us blind folks to see. Tho I've modified mine with reflective tape so I can see it in the dark. Its available at the local grocery for bouta buck. And it comes full of soda for free.

Whatta deal :)

First time I screwed one on last summer to get over some flooded weeds, my fishin buddy said he'd eat his words if it worked. Wasnt but bout ten minutes an I liked ta kicked over my lawn chair gettin to it. Hadda nice lil channel on it.

13. chubbahead

chubbahead Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've been walking the river recently on my lunch breaks doing some scouting. I found what looks to be a perfect location for some good fishing. It's a solid 90 degree turn in the river. There is a spot where the water just slowly whirlpools in what looks to be some pretty deep water relative to the river i fish. Right off the bank, it looks to be a straight drop to at least four feet of water. I can cast out my bluegill fishing about two to three feet with a slip bobber, and it will just hug the bank and completely circle the outside of the hole near all the shallows and then back to me when it hits the edge of the current break. I need to take a pole with me next time so i can figure out how deep a hole i have. I'm pretty excited about fishing this come spring time.