Spring 08' Flathead year class - Ohio River

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I as my partners, have noticed a very large number of last years flatheads being caught this year around the Cinci area, these fish are about 8-11" and so it would appear that the spawn last year went very well last year. I am curious if other sections of the Ohio upriver had simillar highly productive spawns?? Whatever the case, its a real good sign for the future and thats always good news

I think my boat has taken a dozen of these little guys so far this year.

Long live the flattie!!!!:smile2:

Salmonid

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    A good thread. I have only caught a couple of last years spawn here on the Gallipolis Pool this year. You are right it is a very good sign. Also I caught a tagged Channel this spring and got a nice letter from the Wv DNR when I sent in the tag. Seems they have a great Catfish stocking program in effect for the Ohio and some of its tribs.(Shovleheads,Chanells, and Blues) That will help a lot also. Wish Ohio would follow suit on that.
    I might add, seems I catch quite a few Shovlehead less than 20 inch, I seem to be a magnet for 16-18 inchers:haha:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009

3. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i dont think ohio stocks anything but channels but sopposed to stock some blues in dillon lake i hear dont know where else that will get blues

4. mbill

mbill New Member

State:
    Midvale Ohio
    Who knows maybe Ohio will start stocking a little bit in the Ohio River now that some of that waterway has been deemed to belong to Ohio.

5. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    What part ?

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Me too, seems them small ones can eat gills half their size also....:eek:oooh: I've caught several of last years spawn and the year before. Out of the 50 Flatties I've caught none have been bigger than 11lbs...:embarassed:

7. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Everytime Salmonid and I hit the river we catch at least one of the little guys. And they are agressive and man they are greedy, taking big hunks of shad almost too big to put in their mouth. I can only imagine what the fishing will be like in 2 years when all these guys get bigger.