Spray in liner?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by last chance, Apr 20, 2007.

1. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    :smile2: I've got a 20' aluminum seaark bay style boat that came with vinyl in it that has gotten in pretty sad condition. I originally planed on installing carpet but now have decided to go with spray in liner inside and out down to corner at the bottom. I've got 3 bids and 1 said the boat would need sandblasting first in order for a proper bond. The other 2 said that the primer would be all that was needed. My question is has any one had experence with this and if so I really like to know your experience with it.
    Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    when my truck was done they just scuffed the surface very lightly no sand blasting watch those guys .

3. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    In most cases a good job will consist of a self etching primer. From my past experience the spray on liners are expensive.

I started using UltraTuff Coat product and enjoy it. Easy to work with and I can do it myself. Saves me money but the key is the self etching primer.... I use the primer from Por-15.

http://www.ultratuff.net/utmindex.htm Cabelas or Bass Pro sells this

http://www.por15.com/s.nl/it.A/id.1331/.f Had to order online.

4. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you are doing it yourself, scuff it with 40 grit, use etching primer, and you are going to use a min of 4 gal to coat that 20 footer ( at $70.00 a gal). I priced getting my 1654 done by a few name brand places, $750 to $800. Too much for me, heck even doing it yourself your gonna have over $400 in supplies. I decided against it all together.

5. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    look at line-x... i think they offer different colors, and they are really good stuff... i would try to stay away from black cause when fishing durin the day in the summer the black stuff will keep the heat and you will be hating it... if you don't believe me, just go lay in the back of a truck with the black stuff sprayed on it and you'll know what i'm talking bout... line-x offers white stuff, and if you are goin to do it, i would go with the white stuff... and it would prolly be worth it havin someone else do it if you don't know how to do it... they got the roll on stuff at walmart but it only comes in black... its all up to you which way you want to go

they shouldn't need to sandblast the boat at all, just scuff it and self-etching primer should be all they need to do

6. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I am planing on useing a light color in a tan or cream. The place that I'm getting to do the work uses super liner brand material. The info I've pulled off the net leds me to beleve it's a good product. This boat is 20' pluse long and 95'' across the beam and has 10 compartment doors and they are going to spray all surfaces even in all the boxes except the livewells.
    They are going to spray everything on the outside but the very bottom.and the total bid is 1300.00 dollars. considering the amount of work involved and high cost of the material and primer that doesen't seem to be very high to me . What do ya'll think?

7. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    if you feel good about the purchase then I say go for it... you definately will have YEARS of good results and no worries.

8. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Look at it this way. If done properly it should be easy to clean, safe and trouble free for life. Remember several gallons of liquid will add weight to your boat but it shouldn't be a problem with a 20 footer.

9. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks for all your comments and suggestions fellas. When I get it back and all the rigging in it I will try and post some pics if I can figure it out. I'm gonna have a 1653SS Triton metal boat for sale when I get the seaark ready to fish.