Spottsville Dam??

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by catfishparadise, Feb 6, 2008.

1. catfishparadise

catfishparadise New Member

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Has anyone on here fished at the Spottsville Dam before? What kind of luck have you had because I never do to good so I'm looking for some tips :wink:

2. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Anyone on here ever fished there before because I have heard that it produces some nice catfishes...let me know if you have. I'm looking for some tips to help me bring more catfish home :big_smile:

3. vacatfishin'

vacatfishin' New Member

State:
    VA
  4. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    No Problem:big_smile:

5. BigMike42420

BigMike42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson Kentucky
    Get down on the lowest piers and try to get the bait back behind the water falling. It can be a task but, the reward is nice! In the hot months the hotter it is the better it works. :wink:

6. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    How can I get it behind the falling water???

7. BigMike42420

BigMike42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson Kentucky
    Well the water will have be at pool or at least a lot lower than it is right now. Then you can stand withen 2 ft. of the water on the lower peirs where the water is pouring over , fish just one rod at a time and hold it instead of just tight lining like normal! Now if you will look there is peirs that the water is running off of, where these peirs meet there is grooves or gaps in the water. Try to cast into these areas, its not easy to hold there and normally wont stay there long. The hole area in front of the dam is only approx. 8ft. deep with a rock bottom and were the water falls there is rock piled up to stop washing or eating a hole out there. So from were the water is falling on the rocks and the concrete peirs there is a hole that the fish stage waiting on bait to fall over or swim there for the oxygen in this area! I use a carolina rig with 2 oz egg or pencil sinker on a slide instead of a no roll to prevent wedging in the rocks once washed out the hole! Once you been washed out of the hole dont worry about it, simply reel up and recast. The fish normaly strike as soon as it hits anyway. Change up on your casting distance , this puts you in different areas of the hole. PS Small to medium pieces of cut shad is a plus ,but chicken livers work too, just harder to keep on in the strong current!

8. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Thanks that helps a lot. :0a31:

9. BigMike42420

BigMike42420 New Member

State:
    Henderson Kentucky
    No problem buddy! good luck withem!! P.S. tell me how u do this summer.

10. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Jacob, I was fishing there late last year and the blues were in there thick. I fish in a boat there and get close as I feel comfortable with and throw my bait right in the waterfall. Make sure to use a heavy weight. I think the best time of the year is right after the spawn. You can fish the tailwaters too and catch some nice flats in the summer.

11. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Will do:big_smile:

12. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Dankitch, when is the spawn start and stop?? and how much weight do you use?

13. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    Jacob I usually try to use at the least 6 oz. of weight. Most of the time I use 8 oz. I want my bait to stay right behind the falls. Sometimes the fish will be hitting right under the water falling. Spawn won't be until a few more months but keep an eye on here...there are plenty members on here that will keep everyone updated on the spawn. BTW if you do fish the dam once you throw your bait out leave it!!! When a fish bites it will almost always go back in towards the dam and get your sinker up out of the rocks. If you keep reeling in and casting again you will loose ALOT of sinkers and hooks.

14. catfishparadise

State:
    Henderson, Kentucky
    Thanks that helps out a lot...do you fish there a lot? Because I might have seen you down there one day last year or maybe i will see you down there this year