Spots - when do channel catfish lose them?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by TA2D, May 21, 2006.

1. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    How old/big does a channel have to be before it loses its spots? I was just curious, I have caught them up arond 4-5 lbs and they still had a handful of spots left on them.

Aaron

TA2D

2. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    There are probably alot of factors that effect when they lose them. Genetics, water tempeter, age, and food im guessing. In my area I have never seen one over about 12 inches with spots, which ive been told is about 1 year for a channel.

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've only caught them up to about 3/4lb when they still had spots on them. It may be different where you live though.

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I think I have caught them to about a pound and a half with the spots! I have always thought those were the ones that tasted the best!

5. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

In NC they must keep their spots for a long time. Big fish at a recent Lake Hickory tournament was 12.8# and still had spots. Personally, we have caught channel cats up to 10# with spots.

6. vacatfish

vacatfish New Member

State:
    bedford virginia
    Channel catfish lose there spots when they reach there adult hood. a channel that has not will have the small black spoys on there sides. no matter what channel you catch if it has it's spots it has not reached it's adult hood.