Spots for Bowfin (grinnel dogfish)

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by jerseycat9, Mar 19, 2007.

1. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    Does anyone know of good spots for bowfin here in N. Georgia?

2. whisker bend

whisker bend New Member

State:
    georgia
    what is a bowfin?

3. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    They are prehistoric fish that fight hard they have a round tail and are brown to olive green in color.

4. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    They are the meanest & strongest fish you will ever see in fresh water. Most Ppl here call them "mudfish" but I have heard them called - Dogfish,lawyer,grinnel & Swamp bass.

5. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I used to fish for them exclusively at times at my Grandparents cabin on the Rideau in Canada they can bust up tackle pretty good. I miss catching them and want to get to know my old freind the Dogfish again LOL

6. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    I fish for them from time to time when the cats are slow. They are FUN to catch,my largest was just under #20 talk about a fight! I use a slip rig fished on bottom with bluegill cut bait.

7. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    My favorite was live frogs fished in the back bays in summer but the ones we caught in Canada were also partial to chartruse spinner baits but they didnt last to lng thats for shore. My biggest was 18 and would still be the Ontario record had I known that the record was vacant a freind of mine that I met up there holds the record now. We used to catch hundreds of them in July and August

8. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    grennel are a pretty fun fight. i just don't like the looks of them though. they remind me of parasites, and they eat everything too - like turtles.