Spotlights??

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by DANZIG, Nov 18, 2008.

1. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    For the boat of course.

Who has the best value for the money?

2. bulethed

bulethed New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    for the money, get 1 from walmart.....if it breaks just take it back and get another one. if you keep it dry it will last a long time.

bill.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sorry, I did not make it clear,,,Thinking more like mounted with a remote.

4. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    do like i do go find a police car and get one you can mount it they work good

5. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
  6. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    I have two 7in walmart KC knock offs that I have made removable. Some say that I look like a mack truck come up a river or coming acrossed a lake. They only cost about 15.00 to 20.00 a piece. I looked at a remote spot light and it would have cost me over a hundred dollars.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    In some states it is illegal to operate a boat at night with a fixed spot light. Best to check your state regulations... and then, if the state complies with the USCG rules of navigation, you best check pretty darn close. Seems as though I read in their rules where it is illegal to use these lights except for docking. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

8. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "I have two 7in walmart KC knock offs that I have made removable."

Did I see you coming up the Ohio River a couple moths ago?? LOL!!

Watched a pontoon a while back that looked Like a UFO at a distance, I could almost watch my line by his lights at 300 yards. :smile2:

9. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "In some states it is illegal to operate a boat at night with a fixed spot light..."

Thanks, but they will just have to get over it.:wink:

10. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Im with you Danzig... I go out at night.... and have had hand held spots... and now have two that are not fixed, but attached to my walk thru door.... one lite will get the right shore and out in front and the other the left side.... etc.... sure beats the hand held one... but I still have it when needed as I rig it ready to use at night.....get a remote control one.... buy make it portable if your state wants it that way.... Riverbudd55 has two headlights in the hull of his boat and is great.... here is a pic of your boat...camo... and a remote lite attached...:wink:

bayrunner ray

11. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    if an when you meet on coming boats you will understand why you cant see there running lites some ass holes use them like bright lites on a car they don't dim them besides if you get your eyes acclimated to the dark you can actually see better use them for what they are for docking lites. the roundhill

12. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "if an when you meet on coming boats you will understand why..."

No offence, but I have more sense than to do that to someone.

Where, and when, I anticipate using the light, that should not be much of a problem anyway.:big_smile:

13. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    There is a blue spotlight out now that takes the glare away so I am told. I have not found where they can be purchased or how bright they are, but I would like them for my flounder boat when crossing the bays at night as there are pipes and junk that are hazards to navigation that are not marked. Catfishjon

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Quite honestly, nothing works better then one of those cheap floating quarter mile beams that run a 6 volt battery or a 5 cell mag lite.

You start throwing spotlight beams at night over water it's overkill. To much to reflect off of from the body of water itself to moisture in the air.
    It's like driving in fog you can see better with low beams then high beams.

15. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I use lights running jugs at night on KY lake. I just put a 3500 watt generator on and have 7 500 watt quartz lights mounted around the boat. I look like that UFO on the water.

But not as bad as the folks that bow hunt at night. They usually run 16 500 watt quartz's. Now they light up the world.

Danzig if you want a good spot light, get a Q-Beam. They are a sealed beam hand held light that make all others look silly. Those WalMart ones are Chinese and the reflector silver will even come off when wet. lol

I have 2 hand held Q-Beams on my boat. They work great for spotting obstacles at night or looking for lost jugs. My jugs have reflectors on them and the Q-Beams will light them up 1/2 mile away.

16. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I bought one of these Optronics Motion Pro 1000™ Remote Control Spotlight a couple of years ago when they run the winter clearance sale. I think I gave about 50 bucks for it then.
    Not too bright, not too dim, wired remote, pretty good suction cup mount if you have a smooth place to put it. You can't see it in the photo, but it also has a light on the back side, more of a flood/area light, good for tying hooks n such. I plan on making an elevated mount for mine to get it up above eye level, and out of the way. eBay has these, and some others too

17. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
  18. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I am leaning remote/mounted on account of I am thinking it will be awkward to use a hand-held to shine forward on the Cuddy.
    That, and convenient storage is going to be at a premium on this boat.
    I 've only got 19 ft to work with and a fair bit of that is taken up by the cabin.
    I may be able to work out something with the seat pedestals if I build my own.

Just looking for ideas, ya know. Can't think of better people to ask!:big_smile:

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I purchased some .50 cal ammo cans from an Army Surplus store. Use them to store my camera, depth finder, boat registration, etc. Think I need to get at least one 20mm ammo can now. At least I could protect some larger stuff. They are watertight and under most conditions, they'll float. LOL

20. nitronostrils

nitronostrils New Member

State:
    IL