Spot & Croaker - Legal bait?

Discussion in 'MARYLAND RIVER TALK' started by special liberty, Nov 4, 2006.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    I hate wasting fishing time looking for bait so I've developed a lazy habit of going to Annapolis Seafood and buying 10-12 fresh caught white perch for bait. Yesterday when I went they were out so I bought some fresh spot & croaker. Thia morning I got to wondering if it was even legal to use these species as bait - couldn't find anything in my little booklet that came with my license but I thought I'ld ask you guys

Secondly, how many poles can you legaly fish on the potomac? Two per fisherman?

Thanks - see ya on the river
    Tawn

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

3. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    Their is no limit on the amount of rods you can fish in tidal waters.
    As for the bait you are fine for cut bait next time you may like to check about mackel it does very well for big blue. I will be out around fort washington if you see a smoker craft with a jet and 3 people stop on by
    It has the BOC logo on both sides and ACATS on the windshield not hard to see me on the water

4. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    We'll be out south of Ft Washington - plan to work the MD side across from Highpoint, in the vicinity of Buoy 56. We'll try to run up and meet ya Nathan & I plan to try our hand in a tournament or two in 07, we've got a lot to learn before then - hope we dont freeze our butts of trying. I just came in from loading my rods and gear - my thermometer in Waldorf reads 26 degrees!!!!

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Good luck to you both. 26 here also with 70% humidity

6. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well is was hard to get what bait i did get only 3 shad and a small carp. we seem to catch fish until around 11 when the temp dropped and tthe winds picked up. Then the bites stopped in the next 3 hours we got 4 fish. biggest fish was around 19 lbs did have a nice run around the bridge. Did you guys find bait down river.

Hope you guys was off the water before the wind got bad. Someone upset down river around 2:30 the call went out for bodys in the water hope everybody was Ok the water is only 51 now.

7. chesapeakecarper

chesapeakecarper New Member

State:
    Maryland
    In the past we've caught spots and cut them up as baits for bluefish. No problem...its done all the time.