Sport vs. Recreation

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by kat in the hat, Sep 21, 2006.

1. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am writng this because I am fairly new to the BOC and I don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I feel like I already have while defending another new mamber's rights and personal prefference about set lines. I did not join the BOC to make enemies, but to learn more about fishing and to make friends. I have noticed, however, that many in this forum have pretty strong opinions against trotlines and set lines. Some even seem to think that it's not only unsporting, but also unethical. I personally don't care for this segregation of thinking on this site as everyone has legal rights, personal prefference, and opinions that pertain to catfishing. All methods of fishing which are legal, are valid and ethical means of harvesting fish. Every member should be able to log on and discuss their success and failure and get info on all sorts of catfishing. That is why it's catfishing1, and not r&r1, right??? My stance is that, at one time or another I have employed all means of catching fish. Even grabbing although I don't suggest it, nor will I do it again as I was injured pretty severely, and probably deserved it. Some fish for sport, and some for recreation, and some for both. That's me. I love it all. Normally I r&r, but once a month I run lines. No matter how I fish, I have never caught my daily limit. Does anyone? If so I would like to know how. If trotlines are your thing guys I can't stress enough, if there is a chance of interfering with other's fishing, don't cross the channel with your lines. Be respectful and maybe this activity won't get such a bad rap. Fish on y'all, and remember that respect should be the foundation for all outdoor recreation. Respect for nature, and respect for each other.

2. mobowhtr

mobowhtr Member

State:
    MO
    Amen brother. Of coarse if we fight amongst ourselves enough it does make life easier for the tree hugger types.

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    That was a very impressive post and I totally agree! This is a great place to learn about anything and there are tons of opinions out here. The best thing I have learned to do is to keep an open mind and not take things personally because like you said everyone has different outlooks on the sport.

For me I use to run a few ditty poles a while back and I was really successful at it. But I don't eat a lot of fish and I kind of got bored of it. Right now I have my best luck running the river with rod and reel. I will usually dedicate a day or two to running the longest stretch I can just surveying and locating ideal holes and snags and then come out later and focus on fishing those spots that I have picked out. These last 3 weeks for me has been very good for flatheads here in central Iowa and if it wasn't for the scouting and learning the body of water I was fishing i really doubt my luck would of been that good.

What body of water do you normally fish?

4. nitro

nitro New Member

State:
    Dover, TN
    Good post and I agree. Though I haven't done it since, we used to run a line one night every other week. This was back in the late 50's and we had great success. We always ran at night and no one else was fishing that area. We would build a campfire and chew the fat, play cards, and eat and drink. I don't know which we enjoyed more, the fishing part or the fellowship. Like I said, I haven't done it since because I have too much fun with the rod and reel. However you choose to fish, as long as it is legal, is really your business.

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I agree, very well thought out post.

I too run jugs and the occasional trot line. I also enjoy rod and reel.

6. mudgut

mudgut New Member

State:
    oh
    so what is the story behind the gabbing?

7. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Mostly we've been fishing Mark Twain lake. It's about 19,000 acres reservoir in north east Mo. It's a very nice lake. Lots of big cats of all types. Would rather be on the Missouri river, but we've been taking a 5yr.old boy with us. He got pretty excited last time when we caught 2 blues that were bigger than him. So the lake is cool with me. Gonna hit it saturday night after 2 days of cold rain. Ought be good fishin'.

8. Jammer

Jammer New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't have anything against any type of fishing as long as it's legal. I draw the line at tnt and electroshock. Although I do love to blow stuff up.

9. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    You sure said a mouthfull brother! I agree, as long as it's legal then what right do I have to gripe? For example: Snagging is VERY illegal here and I have been brought up to believe thats it's creul and unethical but thats just what I was taught. If it's legal in our state and you follow the laws, then good fishin to ya but dont let me catch ya in my neck of the woods doing it!

10. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    All I will say is that a 20+lb blue cat bites real hard, and very uncool when it happens when your arm is inside a rusted out water heater. Lots of blood and pain, and that sort of thing. Broke me of that habbit before it got started. I'm alot smarter now. Plus the fish was released unharmed IMMEDIATLY. Well actually, the fish released ME thank god.:crazy:

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I'm not a fan of trot lining and limblining, but as long as it is legal and those doing it follow regulations, fine, go to it. But, I do reserve the right to speak at my wildlife department's hearings and request more limits be placed on the practice.

I'm particulary concerned when I run across a trotline with dead fish on it and its evident the trotliner did not run his line. It also bothers me when lines are placed with no consideration for other fishermen and boaters. Usually, though those lines fall into the illegal category. And I have no use for those who set out lines and do not follow the rules.

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    For me if I were fishing for food (which I dont since my wife doesnt like fresh fish :too_sad: ) I would use lines or jugs. Since I dont catch that many fish its a good thing I dont have to provide LOL.

13. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

This is a good post to read. I don't know the full mindset of running set lines as I don't know how much area they cover, or how they are supposed to be marked, and that sort of thing. I have heard people grumbling about it in the past without knowing the extent of the grumbling. I would imagine there is a fine line to cross when determining if something is legal and ethical at the same time. However, I imagine this practice is used to harvest fish for food purposes, so I can't knock it even if I don't do it. If it's done legally I can't really combat it here. I fish rod and reel, but wouldn't mind learning those techniques. I will not be noodling any fish though...:crazy:

Vic

14. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    Good post. There will always be bad fishermen out there. They won't follow the regs or respect anyone else. I had a gas tank stolen out of my small boat this week, not too bad except they cut the gas line instead of disconnecting it. Last week a guy left his truck backed up where some of us unload our boats. locked it up and went fishing. Just no respect. These guys won't change, so I just go on and enjoy fishing as legally and ethically as I can. Just because one guy puts lines where you don't like them, don't blame us all.

Jim

15. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    One more point, the guy your were defending admits in his posts that he takes and destroys other people property, not some one to defend unless you get $200 per hour.

Jim

16. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    great post brother, my personal opinion donst agree with limb lines or anything like that for sport or recreation, now if your doing it cuz your broke and catching your dinner go for it! but if you want to catch fish and have fun with it i think you should use a rod and reel. but thats just my 2 cents and personal opinion

17. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Good post and good thoughts.

I am against limb lines and such, but that is my opinion.

With that being said, just because something is "legal" does not make it smart or the right thing to do. After all, slavery was "legal" in this country for a couple of hundred years.

18. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I second that, man I love your post!:big_smile:

19. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont set lines because I dont have a boat, but I do use r&r. Good post!

20. grizzly

grizzly New Member

State:
    Griffithville, Arkansas
    I agree, just because it's legal is it ethical? I do run trotlines legally and have never caught my legal limit of catfish. 10 per day, excluding bullheads. I also R&R fish and have caught my limit of channel cats, but not very often. Whether trotlining or pole fishing, I do it for both sport and recreation with the latter being the big factor. When I'm on the secluded bayou, I feel at peace wih no worries in the world. And if I am lucky enough to catch a couple of fish, then that is just a bonus. I will also agree there may be some things that need a change. I live 13 miles from the White River here in Arkansas where commercial fishing is big and I think has hurt fish populations. Where I fish most of the time, the problem comes from a couple of people setting out illegal hoop nets and fiddler nets in the spring when the water is up. They are hard to catch because they have no schedule on when they may run them. The only legal method of fishing I have a concerne with is snagging. How many belly hooked fish get off only to die later. But it is legal here, so maybe it's not to bad. To sum it up, I would say recreation and relaxation is why I fish. grizzly