SPORT FISH AS BAIT

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by JEFFRODAMIS, Sep 1, 2009.

WHAT SPORT FISH HAVE YOU USED FOR BAIT

1. CRAPPIE

2. BLACK BASS

3. STRIPED/HYBRID/SAND BASS

4. OTHER CATFISH

5. OTHER

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    HOW MANY OF US HAVE USED A SPORT FISH AS BAIT? AND IF SO WHAT FISH? I AM AWARE IT IS ILLEGAL IN MOST PLACES BUT I AM CURIOUS HOW IT WORKED OUT FOR ANYBODY AND OR THE HORROR STORIES OF GETTING CAUGHT, OR THE FISH THAT GOT AWAY. LETS HEAR SOME STORIES.

2. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I HAVE INDEED USED CRAPPIE, AND BASS FOR BAIT BEFORE. SHAME ON ME. HAD STRAIGHTENED HOOK OMN TROT LINE WITH CRAPPIE, CAUGHT A BIG DRUM ON LIL BLACK BASS ON ROD AND REEL AND NEVER HAD A SINGLE BITE ON 5 INCH SANDBASS SO THEY ARE OFF THE MENU LOL

I DO NOT INTEND FOR THIS TO BUTTHURT ANYBODY BUT I KNOW WHAT KINDS OF THINGS HAPPEN OUT THERE ADN ID LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT THEM

3. kyleco55

kyleco55 Well-Known Member

State:
    Central In
    not exactly sport fish, but here in indiana bluegill are gamefish! rediculous, i know. we can legally use them for bait, but only if they were caught on rod n reel. i do like using an occasional 7-10 inch largemouth or smallmouth for bait. flatheads love em.. aint never been caught, so try not to use em often. one thing i do, i only have enough to bait my hook once, then, hopefulyy i can accidentally lose my bait when reeling in if an officer does decide to check me out:eek:oooh: aother thing they really like is the crappie.. same thing.. dont get caught with em in the bait bucket

4. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR HONESTY LOL I FORGOT ABOUT SMALL MOUTH CAUSE WE DOTN HAVE MANY WHERE I AM BUT I BET THEY WOULD BE GREAT. I HAD A 4 LB BASS HALF DIGESTED ON A LIMB LINE OEN TIME LOL

5. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I've used a lil bit of everything except largemouth bass.. Here it is legal to use game fish if they have been caught on rod and reel.

I've caught stripers and catfish on drum, crappie, perch and sandbass.. I'll have to try a largemouth one day.. since skipjack look similar to a bass I'm sure it will work..

6. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    small mouth is in the black bass category bro...:wink:

7. mavmannate

mavmannate New Member

State:
    De soto, Kansas
    I would only use bluegill. Its illegal to use game fish here in kansas. and with my luck with the law, Id be NAILED with a fine, i can almost promise that! :smile2::angry:

but.... if it were legal, i wouldnt mind cutting up some drum/carp/bass and trotlining with it.

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I Dont use sport fish.:crazy:

9. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

If it swims,chances are I,ve given it a try.Only thing illegal here in Pa. is carp,goldfish,and koi.If I found out they were hitting on any of those,they,d be on the end of my line too.I got a deal,I won,t tell the Pa.fish commision how to raise fish,and they aint gonna tell me what to use for bait.Just being honest.White bass are one of my best baits in the spring.:wink:

10. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    I have used little strippers . I mostly use bluegill or shad when using cut bait .

11. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Game fish are unlawful with the exception of sunfish in Ky. Have use sunfish the size of a big hand for bait with good success.Never have used bass,crappie or trout for bait. Did have a flathead grab a 8" black bass ones while bass fishing years ago. Catfish are rough fish in Ky and I have used bullheads with good success.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  12. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    i use gills and bass mostly depends what i caught is what i use most of the time

13. big train

big train New Member

State:
    Coffeyvill
    I believe that here in kansas any fish caught by legal methods can be used for bait.

14. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    almost all of my gills are caught on rod but it doesnt matter here. and i wish we had skippies here too but we do have tons of shad and that is what we use most of the time and we catch them in the cast net and ever once and a while we get a lil sandy and some gills, if bait is scarce everything goes in the bucket.

15. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    as few as we have here they might as well be in the swordfish catagory :tounge_out:

16. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    What katfish ken said! :wink:

17. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here in Ohio you can use anything you legally catch. I really only use sunfish, bluegills, shad, skipjack, drum and bullheads for bait though. I have tried crappie and never had any luck. I have caught bass that I could use but I have great luck with shad and skippies no need to use the most fished for fish as bait.

18. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    My name is Tan. And I am addicted to using smallmouth bass for bait.

In The Commonwealth of Pennslyvania, it's LEGAL to use any gamefish except the endangered ones like bowfins:crazy: and paddlefish only if you caught it on rod and reel.

In eastern PA rivers, they are infested with 12 inch smallmouths.

I use nightcrawlers with a split shot to catch them.:cool2:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  19. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have always wanted to use a walleye and striped bass for bait too but I can't catch walleyes where I live in the summer and striped bass are like tunas, they WILL NOT EVER live more than one hour in a bait bucket!

At least I have the guts to admit this!

A real flathead fisherman only knows 2 kinds of fish:
    1. the flathead
    2. Everything else.....Bait!:cool2:

20. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT

WONDER WHERE THE STORIES OF GETTING CAUGHT ARE?