Spoons???

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by blindfly69, Jul 8, 2007.

1. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    tonight i went to meldahl dam and i couldnt buy a bite one bluegills or goldfish but a few people had theses things that looked like 3 ounce spoons and reeled them in as fast as they could...anybody heard of this? or know where i can buy some?

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What were they trying to catch, it sounds like a good way to catch certain fish. I don't know though.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Could you tell what they were catching Nate? I used to fish there at Meldahl quite a bit this time of year but the gar just got so bad, I quit wasting my time.

4. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    blues and flatheads! it was weird.... they were all using 3 ounce lead spoons that they made themselves and were using a blazing fast retrieve... never would've thought it would work

5. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    there casting spoons. you can get them from 1/8 ounce to like 5 oz. we used to use the for jiggin walleye off deep holes, but i've seen the used with the fast retreive as well. foul hooking is a major problem with them.

6. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Sounds to me like all there were doing was trying to snag fish!!!!!!!

7. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've seen guys use heavy spoons or Little Georges to snag flatheads below the dam at Carlyle. They replace the factory treble with a great big snagging treble and use a rapid, sweeping retrieve to snag fish. As expected, nothing was done when we complained about this to the conservation officers.:angry:

8. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    if ya caint caint catch them the right way just leave them alone

9. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    they weren't snaggin em.....

10. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    just to clarify, casting spoons do work well at times to legaly catch cats. looks to them just like a shad darting thru the water. i've caught strippers on them as well. but foul hooking is a major issue whether accidentaly or on purpose.

11. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Good point. I've used spoons for whites before and have caught a few cats (and snagged a couple accidentally). For me, I've caught the cats on a lift/ pause retrieve or a short burn/ stop retrieve. This closely resembles a injured, darting shad.