spoonies

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by fishinfreak19D, Mar 18, 2009.

1. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    has anyone ever tried for paddlefish at burlington city dam? i always wanted to try to catch one, but with the new baby i dont wanna travel too too far from home and thats not even 2 hrs from here, i was wonderin if the fishin is decent there or if its not even worth my time.

2. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Right now the rivers low.I live on nesho south of there and some years when waters high the river is full of spoonbills.I dont even know if they have opened it yet.

3. fishinfreak19D

State:
    Pittston, PA
    also, if i go, what size trebles should i use and weight,, like i said i never tried it,,,, and if i were to get one, do you clean em like a big cat or is there a different way for em? thanks in advance for any info.

4. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Jeff like Ray said it will take some water to get them up here.

The female's will go as far as they can but it will take some rain to get them to the city dam.

I would spend the $$ and head to Miami OK.

It's a four hr drive.

Spoonbill have a red meat layer around them but no bones.

Just cut the head off then at the tail cut about 1" deep around the tail then give it a twist and give it a pull and you will pull the cartlige out that run's down their back.

Then cut about 1" steaks from tail to head.

You then will see the red meat.You then cut the white meat out from both sides of the steak and discard the rest.

If you get a female save the eggs...

5. fishinfreak19D

State:
    Pittston, PA
    the only chances im gonna get this year are this weekend and next, thats why i was hopin they might be at burlington, i think the wife would KILL me if i went down to chetopa or all the way to miami,maybe the rain this weekend will have em up there for next week,,, fingers crossed

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    I dont know where you are located but Osawatomie has a run too ,but again only if the river is up.Someone is getting them because I just came from the river and there is a spoonbill carcass there.I dont know if it was caught here or not.