Spoonbill's

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by kenlaw76, Dec 31, 2008.

1. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    How far east are those Spoonbill's? They look pretty cool. I would love to and try for them sometime.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS

3. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    That was some good info. If they eat zooplanktin how do people catch them?

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    A big treble hook. You have to snag them.
    A warning though, its alot of work.:wink: Throw out, reel in, yank, reel in, yank, reel in. Throw out and repeat. I didnt like it. I like to sit and wait.:smile2:
    They will flat out tear up some tackle though and they get big. 100lbers are fairly common.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
  6. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I've had friends fish for them in western N.D. and Montana. They said it was a blast. Snagging with big trebles is how they did it and when you hooked one, down the bank they would run following the fish. Tiresome for a big bro like me but they just loved it. They are definitely a neat fish. I just might have to suck it up one of these days and try it.

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    they are in Pennsylvania and specifically in the alleghany river. Since they eat the small stuff you won't catch them with bait.

Snagging is highly illegal in Pennsylvania. Also the PA fish commission is trying to build a population of them in our part of the state....They are signs everywhere around here 'bout spoonbill. I hope they come back.

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I dad snagged a 55lber in November fishing for suagers in the Ohio River.

Spoonbills don't eat but have to get snagged.

9. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    That's awesome Blacky! Since you were fishing for Sauger, were you using lite tackle? I bet it was a blast to land that fish.

10. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    What are they used for? Do you eat them if not why catch them just to let them die. How do you keep from catching other fish? Does it harm them verry much can they be let go. Thanks Sam Davis

11. Catfish_Calvin

Catfish_Calvin New Member

State:
    Nauvoo, Il
    Good questions. Spoonbill are very good eating. You can cut them into steaks or fillets and yummmmm. When you snag them its usually in their hard bill or tail. So i doubt that theres a high percentage of fish that die after being caught accidently then released. But theres always some that do. Here in Iowa you cant release them, though. Once you catch 2 you have to quit. Other state laws vary. In Missouri you can cull them. There is a season for them where i snag. January 1st to April 10th is the dates i believe?

12. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    What kind of fish are they close to in taste. dont imagin they taste like chicken that is what people say about other things. Thanks Sam Davis

13. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Sam, paddlefish are a good table fish. They are similar in appearance and taste as a blue catfish, maybe a bit milder than a blue but close. I wrote an article called perfecting the fine art of snagging, it is in the BOC articles list. You might wanna check it out, it should answer some of the questions you have been asking. Vern

14. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They do taste very similar to catfish. They're eggs are prized as american caviar! Heres a picture of one, a friend of mine caught below Kentucky Dam while using a 6" chartruese swim shad. He hooked the thing in the bill near the mouth. I was never convinced that the fish didnt go after the lure. I did the netting and took the picture. He caught the thing on my rod. I have never been into the snagging for fish. It is way to much work for me. I like to relax when I fish not work out my arms and back to the point of exhaustion....LOL:smile2:

Attached Files: